Click here to go back to the AFC Heritage Trust Homepage Aberdeen Football Club Heritage Trust Logo  
AFC - Match Report
match report 1931-32 fixture list
Aberdeenshire Cup Second Round 
Aberdeen 6 - 0 Peterhead
Kick Off:    Yorston, Yorston, Yorston, David, Yorston.        
Attendance: 600
Venue: Pittodrie Stadium, Aberdeen
Easy Victory For Aberdeen 'A'

Peterhead Whacked at Pittodrie.


Aberdeen " A," record holders of the Aberdeenshire Cup, took a step nearer to retaining the trophy at Pittodrie yesterday afternoon.
Peterhead provided the opposition in the second round of the competition, and, although they put up a plucky fight, they were no match for the homesters, who ran out easy winners by six goals nil.
The Buchan team were nothing if not wholehearted, but this proved of little avail against a more skilful and better trained Aberdeen team.
It would be invidious to criticise the home team, but it is worthy of mention that Yorston netted four goals.
Peterhead were well served in defence by Henderson, Muir, the ex-Aberdeen player, who was outstanding, and Brown. In an attack, which was well held by a first-class Aberdeen intermediate line, J. and D. Davidson and Smith were best.

Description of Play.

Aberdeen were prominent at the start, and smart work by Jackson led to Yorston scoring a smart opening goal, the ball entering the net off the post.
J. Davidson took the eye for the visitors, and on one occasion beat Sharp in fine style only to send against the outside net.
Peterhead were kept entirely on the defensive, and Muir, the ex-Pittodrie player, had a big part in the holding of the Aberdeen attack. David, Dickie, Jackson, and Devlin had efforts, but none were successful.
Devlin was carried off injured, and during his absence Yorston scored another neat goal by beating Henderson in a race for the ball and hooking it into the net. A few minutes later the Aberdeen centre completed his hat trick from an adroit Jackson cross.
This goal coincided with the return of Devlin. The Buchan team made their first dangerous raid after thirty minutes, and shots by the two Davidsons were blocked by defenders.
Cumming made his first save from a visiting player when he held a lob from Smith in the thirty-sixth minute.
Just on the interval Henderson, in punching clear from Hill, pushed the ball against a defender and it rebounded into the net. Aberdeen's 4-0 lead at the interval in no way flattered them.

Peterhead Improve.

Peterhead came away with a great burst on the resumption, and J. Davidson grazed the bar with a great drive. Buchan The men continued to put more verve into their play, and Brown had hard luck with a grand drive.
The Pittodrie reserves were not to be denied, and David crashed in a fifth point. Henderson saved a smart try from Yorston, and a terrific shot Adam flashed inches wide.
A nice slip by Devlin resulted in Yorston netting a sixth goal.
Towards the close Aberdeen monopolised play, and Peterhead were fortunate not to be further in arrears. Henderson distinguished himself with saves from Yorston, Jackson, and McLaren. Attendance 600.

Source: Press & Journal, 26th December 1931

Aberdeen Teamsheet:  Cumming, Legge, Sharp, Dickie, McLaren, Hill, Jackson, Adam, Yorston, Devlin, David.

Unused Subs:


Peterhead Teamsheet:  Henderson; McBain, Muir; Watson, Brown, Duthie; J. Davidson, D. Davidson, Forrest, Smith, Bennett


Referee: W. Clarke, Aberdeen

Related Links: