Click here to go back to the AFC Heritage Trust Homepage Aberdeen Football Club Heritage Trust Logo  
AFC - Match Report
match report 1931-32 fixture list
Aberdeenshire Cup Semi Final Replay 
Aberdeen 2 - 0 Fraserburgh
Kick Off:  3:00 PM   Armstrong.        
Attendance: 700
Venue: Pittodrie Stadium, Aberdeen
Aberdeen 'A' For Final

Fraserburgh Ousted at Pittodrie.


Fraserburgh made their exit from the Aberdeenshire In the replayed semi-final with Aberdeen "A" at Pittodrie Park yesterday afternoon, being defeated by two goals to nil.<.br> From start to finish the game lacked thrills, and although Aberdeen had the bulk of the play, they only counted twice. On one two occasions the home lot played really pretty football, but lacked the force necessary for goalscoring.
The Fraserburgh centre-half, McGregor, played a really good game, as did his colleague, Cheyne, left-back. But taken all over, the visitors were a disjointed lot. Only occasional flashes of good play and the exceedingly poor marksmanship of the home forwards saved them from a much heavier defeat.
Aberdeen were playing right through the second half with ten men, Legge having to retire just before half-time owing to injury. This caused a reshuffle, which unsettled the Dons. Gibson, Aberdeen's latest capture from Bridgeton Waverley, did not get much opportunity to show his worth, but on the day's play he was not very convincing. Twenty-five minutes had gone before the homesters took the lead through Armstrong. He fastened on to a neat pass upfield and beat Anderson all the way.

Fraserburgh had some spasmodic bursts during the second half, but they never looked like scoring. Gibson nearly counted for Aberdeen with a hard shot from close quarters which hit the crossbar.
It was a piece of bad luck which put Fraserburgh two down. Armstrong, who was at this stage playing at outside-left, shot hard for goal, and the ball glanced off Simpson, the visiting right back, into the net.
On one occasion Galloway might have put his side farther ahead, but he tried to do too much on his own and was dispossessed.
Gibson was handicapped towards the end of the game by an injury to his shoulder.
Grant almost reduced the leeway from a free kick which he shot straight at goal. Cumming only partially cleared his lines, but G. Bain, hooking on, sent high over the crossbar. Throughout the game Hill was about the most forcing in the home attack.
About seven hundred spectators were present, and of this number three hundred and seventy-three entered by the unemployed gate, which was tried for the first time.

Source: Press & Journal, 11th February 1932

Aberdeen Teamsheet:  Cumming, Legge, Sharp, McLaren, Russell, Ballantyne, Galloway, Gibson, Donald, Hill, Armstrong.

Unused Subs:


Fraserburgh Teamsheet:  Anderson; Simpson, Cheyne; Scott, Macgregor, Hendry; Duncan, G. Bain, Taylor, H. Bain, Grant


Referee: William Clark, Aberdeen

Related Links: