Click here to go back to the AFC Heritage Trust Homepage Aberdeen Football Club Heritage Trust Logo  
AFC - Match Report
match report 1931-32 fixture list
Scottish Second XI Cup Second Round 
Aberdeen 1 - 1 Rangers
Kick Off:  3:00 PM   Hill.       Murray 55  
Attendance: 12,000
Venue: Pittodrie Stadium, Aberdeen
Rousing Display At Pittodrie

Hill in Splendid Form for Aberdeen.


The game between Aberdeen "A" and Rangers "A" at Pittodrie in the second round of the Second XI. Cup never lacked interest. Aberdeen in the first half played against the wind, and 12,000 spectators saw them early on the attack. Dawson saved well from McLaren. After a period of sustained pressure a free-kick was awarded to Aberdeen. Hill took the kick, and Dawson saved, but the referee ordered the kick to be re-taken as he had not blown his whistle. This time Hill sent the ball hard and true into the corner of the net. It was a great goal. Subsequently end-to-end play became the order the day, but both sets of forwards finished weakly. In a Rangers' attack both Nicholson and Smith shot over when they were well placed, and at the other end Adam and David missed good chances.

Hill in Form.

Hill was a dominating figure for Aberdeen. Time and again he gained possession to get his forwards moving, and almost every home attack originated from him. Marshall might have levelled matters, but overran ball, and later that player sent high over from close quarters when had only Cumming to beat.
The game continued on the same fast lines after the resumption. Dawson was severely tested more than once, but he dealt with all balls confidently.

Rangers Draw Level.

After about ten minutes' play Murray levelled matters. It was a rather soft goal. Cumming left his charge to clear, but was hampered by his backs and put the ball down to the feet of Murray, who tapped it into an untenanted goal.
This put Aberdeen on their mettle, but a sound Rangers' defence held them out. Dawson was rather lucky to save a first-time drive from Ballantyne after a free kick taken by Hill had been blocked.
Subsequently Smith broke through on his own, but his parting shot was wild. Hill had hard luck with a 25 yards' drive. Play continued fast until the end, but there was no further scoring. The game was one of the best seen at Pittodrie for some time, and a draw was a fair result. Both defences were good, but Aberdeen had the pull at half, and Rangers the advantage in attack. Hill was at the top of his form, and his display earned him an ovation at the close. McLaren also played well, while Russell was sound. Warnock, Adam and David all had an off day. The gross receipts were 260.

Source: Press & Journal, 29th February 1932

Aberdeen Teamsheet:  Cumming, Jackson, Sharp, McLaren, Russell, Hill, Warnock, Adam, David, Ballantyne, Galloway.

Unused Subs:


Rangers Teamsheet:  Dawson; Buchanan, Hamilton; Dean, McDonald, Craig; Main, Marshall, Smith, Murray, Nicholson


Referee: J. W. Baillie, Motherwell

Related Links: