Click here to go back to the AFC Heritage Trust Homepage Aberdeen Football Club Heritage Trust Logo  
AFC - Match Report
match report 2019-20 fixture list
SPL Youth 18 
Aberdeen 4 - 1 Ayr United
Kick Off:  4:00 PM   Barron 4 (Pen), Barron 17 (Pen), Hanratty 28, Dangana 44.       Connor 88  
Attendance: 100
Venue: Balmoral Stadium, Cove
Aberdeen Under 18s made it seven wins on the spin as they saw off Ayr United after a powerful first half display.

It was a wet, dreich afternoon at Balmoral Stadium as the game kicked off and Aberdeen were quickly into their stride winning a penalty in the third minute when Kevin Hanratty was fouled in the box by Jeanes. Skipper Connor Barron did his usual immaculate job from twelve yards, sending Kirkland the wrong way, to give Barry Robson's side the perfect start. That's five goals in five starts at this level for the midfield dynamo.

Ayr responded with a quick break on 11 minutes which ended with Tom Ritchie making a smart save from full back Nohar.

The Dons were awarded a second spot kick on 16 minutes when Michael Dangana's powerful run was halted as he was bowled over in the box by McFadyen. Once again Barron slotted the penalty in with the minimum of fuss - once again Kirkland dived to his right and Connor played the ball into the opposite corner.

A sweeping move almost produced a third goal in 21 minutes, Max Barry sending Calvin Ramsay down the right and his first time cross picking out Dangana whose close range effort was well blocked by Kirkland.

The visitors had the elements in their favour but were finding it tough to create anything going forward. Their frustration was beginning to show, and McKee was booked for dissent.

Kevin Hanratty made it three-nil on 28 minutes, starting and finishing the move which created the goal. Having picked the ball up in midfield, the Scotland Under 17 man played it wide for Tyler Mykyta who drove infield before laying the ball into Hanratty's path for a fine twenty-yard finish with his right foot.

Smith forced a rare save from Ritchie on 32 minutes before a powerful run from Kieran Shanks ended with the striker shooting just wide when the unmarked Hanratty was screaming for a pass inside.

A terrific shot from Hanratty crashed off the bar with Kirkland beaten all ends up as the Dons looked dangerous every time they drove forward, the Ayr defence struggling to cope with the strength of Dangana, Shanks and Hanratty.

The front three all combined well in the 40th minute, Hanratty's shot from Shanks' cross being parried into the path of Dangana, but the big man blazed over from fifteen yards.

Ramsay was booked four minutes from the break, but the wall deflected Connor's free kick to safety. A minute from the break it was four as Dangana rifled the ball into the roof of the net after

Ayr's defence failed to clear their lines after Mykyta had knocked the ball into the danger area.

A really strong showing from the young boys who, with the wind and rain at their backs, would be looking for more goals in the second period.

Half time - Aberdeen Under 18s 4 Ayr United Under 18s 0

Ayr introduced Fraser and Kasule at the break, withdrawing Jeanes and Bilham. A neat move down the right from Ayr ended with Connor shooting just over while at the other end Barron's long range effort flew high and wide.

Quick thinking from Barron saw him chip a free kick through for Shanks, but Kirkland blocked well. Jack MacIvor replaced Mykyta on 62 minutes while Ayr brought on Dean for Angus.
Another chance for Aberdeen as Barry played Dangana in, but the striker's angled effort was too high. Nohar was the game's third booking after a foul on Ramsay just before Hanratty forced a good save from Kirkland.

Barry Robson made a double change with quarter of an hour left, Jack Milne and Corey Gerrard coming on for Ramsay and Barron, the armband being passed to Max Barry.

The fluency of Aberdeen's first half performance wasn't so evident in the second period as the conditions deteriorated. Kyle Dalling picked up a soft booking after a challenge on Connor before Ayr had the ball in the net, only for an offside flag to cut short their celebrations.

Connor forced a fine diving save from Tom Ritchie with three minutes left but the striker got his reward for a busy display seconds later when he turned the ball into the net after the ball squirmed from the keeper's grasp. It was only a consolation for Ayr, but they deserved a goal for their efforts, never being willing to throw in the towel despite struggling at times.

It had been a rather lacklustre second 45 from the Dons, but the damage was all done in the first half as they ran out worthy winners.

Aberdeen Teamsheet:  Ritchie, Ramsey (Gerrard 75), Booth, Paterson, Dalling, Barry, Hanratty, Barron (Milne 75), Dangana, Shanks, Mykyta (MacIver 62).

Unused Subs: Turner, Oluyemi.

Bookings:  Ramsey (41),  Dalling (79).

Ayr United Teamsheet:  Kirkland, Jeanes (Fraser 45), Nohar, Heaney (C), McFadyen, Bilham (Kasule 45), Angus (Dean 62), Smith, Connor, McKee, Miller (Hannah 70)

Bookings:  McKee 26,   Nohar 67

Referee: Duncan Nicolson

Related Links: