Click here to go back to the AFC Heritage Trust Homepage Aberdeen Football Club Heritage Trust Logo  
AFC - Match Report
match report 1946-47 fixture list
Scottish Cup Final 
Aberdeen 2 - 1 Hibernian
Kick Off:    Hamilton 36, Williams 42.       Cuthbertson (1)  
Attendance: 82,140
Venue: Hampden Park, Glasgow
At last another Cup Final and this time it was a success for the Dons. Despite a heart-stopping blunder by George Johnstone in the first minute when he fumbled a simple backpass from George Taylor for Cuthbertson to score an easy goal, Aberdeen went on to beat Hibs in the first half, despite heroics from Kerr in the Hibernian goal. The winning goal was an unorthodox effort that would have had coaches tearing their hair out as Stan Williams, from the bye-line, quite gently, pushed the ball between Kerr and the post instead of cutting it back to his oncoming team-mates. In the second period a George Hamilton penalty kick was saved by Hibs goalie, Kerr, who had pulled down Williams, but Aberdeen were in control and the Cup was heading north.
Hibs won the toss and elected to play into the stiff breeze and strong sunshine and within 25 seconds, the Edinburgh side were ahead!
Finnigan booted the ball out from his own half into the Aberdeen penalty box. The Dons' left-back, Taylor, collected the ball and, instead of playing it back up the field, he chose to tap it back to his keeper. Johnstone had come out of his goal in anticipation of the move and picked the passback up . . . and then promptly let it drop out of his hands again! The ball spun to the waiting Hibs forwards who could hardly believe their luck. They pounced on the free ball and eventually Cuthbertson slammed it home into the empty net.
Aberdeen replied a minute later when Stan Williams hit a 25-yard shot which Kerr tipped over the crossbar. McLaughlin, Dunlop and Waddell all moved up as the Dons pressed for an equaliser and, although they had most of the play, some desperate defending by Hibs stopped them from scoring. But the Edinburgh club couldn't hold out forever and in the 35th minute, the Dons pulled a goal back.
The wind was beginning to sap the Hibs' players strength and when a long ball was lobbed into their half, Williams easily beat them to it. He sideflicked it into the path of Hamilton and the inside-right headed the ball past the onrushing keeper. Hibs attempted to force their way back and Willie Ormond had a fierce shot punched over by Johnstone. Yet Aberdeen inflicted another blow on the Easter road men in the 41st minute when they took the lead.
Stan Williams chased a loose ball down the right wing and then ran with it past two defenders to the Hibernian by-line. He cut inwards, towards the goal and with all the Dons forwards screaming for him to pass it, squeezed the ball past Kerr. It was a fine goal and Aberdeen kept control after the interval. Indeed in the 58th minute, they had a glorious chance to go further ahead. Williams, who had been the scourge of the Hibs defenders, latched onto a through ball but as he hit it towards the net, Kerr raced out and brought the centre-forward crashing down in the box. The referee had no hesita¬tion in awarding a penalty and Hamilton stepped up to take it, only to shoot straight into the arms of the goalkeeper. That gave Hibs fresh heart and they began to have more of the play, but their attacks were not co-ordinated properly and the Dons held out to the final whistle, so taking the Cup home to Pittodrie for the first time.

Hibs also missed out on the League title that year, finishing second two points behind Rangers, Aberdeen were third. Other events of that month - 3,000 Glasgow dockers were out on strike over proposals to make some of them redundant. Sir Winston Churchill proposed that the period of National Service should be reduced from two years to one and the first ever Scottish League Cup Final was played, with Rangers beating Aberdeen 4-0.
Henry Ford, inventor of the Model T' Ford car, died at the age of 83. The cause of death was diagnosed as a cerebral haemorrhage. Films at Glasgow included 'The Odd Man Out', starring a youthful James Mason, while the top radio programmes were Family Favourites and super sleuthing hero, Dick Barton. For Aberdeen, though, the hero they were most interested in was Stan Williams. His winning goal had made Dons history. It was a final to remember.

Source Match Programme at the Scottish Cup Final, 22nd May 1982

Aberdeen Teamsheet:  Johnstone, McKenna, Taylor, McLaughlin, Dunlop, Waddell, Harris, Hamilton, Williams, Baird, McCall.

Unused Subs:


Hibernian Teamsheet:  Kerr; Govan, Shaw; Howie, Aird, Kean; Smith, Finnegan, Cuthbertson, Turnbull, Ormond


Referee: R. Calder, Glasgow

Related Links: