Click here to go back to the AFC Heritage Trust Homepage Aberdeen Football Club Heritage Trust Logo  
AFC - Match Report
match report 1950-51 fixture list
Div 1 (Old) 
Aberdeen 2 - 1 Celtic
Kick Off:  3:00 PM   Hamilton 74, Hamilton 83.       McPhail 88  
Attendance: 30,000
Venue: Pittodrie Stadium, Aberdeen
Before the kick-off a fair photographer among the Celtic supporters cleverly cleared the boundary wall to snap her friends on the terracing. Chances are she doesn't want a print for herself now. It would remind her of a negative afternoon at Pittodrie.
For the quick-fire, all-action 90 minutes was an exposure of the big Parkhead problem. They caught the Dons in fiery mood, tamed them, but failed to exercise the control of masters. The result was the initiative slipped from their grasp and they lost a game they looked like winning. Aberdeen went quickly into top gear, and the Celts made repeated withdrawals in face of the red aggressors. Evans and Baillie had no time to assist their attack. The last-ditch stand was successful thanks to some amazing inaccuracy on the part of the home forwards. Just after the interval a Hather shot should have counted, but by some freak, came out from the inside of the post. Boyd's effort from the rebound looked an even surer scorer, but Mallan was on the line to kick clear. That, on top of the first half failures, looked like the straw that broke the camel's back.
Celts came more into the game and found for the first time that the Dons' real weakness was in defence. The backs were shaky and rarely advanced with their forwards. That meant wide, open spaces. And Collins, McPhail, and Tully made full use of them. But when it came to beating Martin they were stumped. They tried for twenty minutes. Then at the other end Yorston ventured a shot from 20 yards. As Bonnar covered, Hamilton glanced the ball home with his head. Next, big George piloted his cranium against a Boyd shot. The ball was only two feet from the ground when it was diverted from the crouching Bonnar's grasp.
After that the Celtic lass could have sold portrait pictures of the Hamilton headpiece by the parcelful. But these heady scoring tactics weren't over. Tully crossed, for once, clear of Martin?s grasp, and McPhail headed a typical goal. It would have been no surprise had the Celts goal arrived in that first half of Aberdeen misses. A McPhail flick brought out the do-or-die best in Martin, and when Peacock took advantage of the "hustle-em-on" instructions at a free kick, the ball just brushed McPhail's hair and greased the post.
Next to Martin, Hather was Aberdeen?s best performer. He raised Bonnar's blood pressure more than once. Glen showed he has found his true position at wing-half. Mallan was a mighty pivot, and, with Bonnar, steadied the Parkhead defence. But the Parkhead problem will have to be solved - just as the Pittodrie defence will have to be tightened.

Source: Sunday Post, 15th October 1950

Aberdeen Teamsheet:  Martin, Emery, Shaw, Anderson, Young, Glen, Boyd, Yorston, Hamilton, Baird, Hather.

Unused Subs:


Celtic Teamsheet:  Bonnar; Fallon, Milne; Evans, Mallan, Baillie; Collins, D. Weir, McPahil, Peacock, Tully


Referee: G. Mitchell, Falkirk

Related Links: