Click here to go back to the AFC Heritage Trust Homepage Aberdeen Football Club Heritage Trust Logo  
AFC - Match Report
match report 2002-03 fixture list
Aberdeen 1 - 2 Dundee United
Kick Off:  7:45 PM   Mackie 3.       Thompson 17, Thompson 40  
Attendance: 10,724 (Visitors: 746)
Venue: Pittodrie Stadium, Aberdeen
Dons get those home sick blues
Aberdeen lost their second straight game at the previously 'fortress' Pittodrie as United came back from an early Mackie goal to claim all three points. The defeat means that the Dons have taken only one point from a possible twelve at Pittodrie this season.

Following a minute's silence to mark the anniversary of the terrorist attacks in America and as a mark of respect for long serving AFC employee Alan Dinnett, the game got off to a flyer as the Dons made a storming start. In the 2nd minute McNaughton, playing at right back, strode forward and delivered a dangerous cross which Derek Young glanced wide of the target. A minute later McNaughton was again the provider and this time Darren Mackie made no mistake as he looped a header over a hesitant Gallacher for the perfect start.

United were spurred into action and Thompson went close in the 4th minute when his header went inches wide with Kjaer scurrying across his goal. Three minutes later the Scotland striker should have equalised when he had a free shot from six yards out, but Kjaer made a magnificent block and Anderson completed the clearance.

The visitors were starting to gain the upper hand and troubling the Dons down the flanks. The Dons were still also causing United some grief and Gallacher had to look lively as he raced from his line to deny McNaughton. Two minutes later Darren Young picked out Mike, but the striker was adjudged to be offside as Gallacher saved his header. United's pressure paid off in the 17th minute when Thompson beat Kjaer with a low drive from 15 yards following build up play from Miller and Easton.

The Dons went close to regaining their advantage in the 20th minute when Billio fired a short free kick inches over the crossbar. Kevin McNaughton did well to deny Mark Wilson in the 26th minute as the United man threatened to burst through on goal. In the 31st minute a precise 60 yard pass by Derek Young released Mackie on the right. The ball eventually found McAllister on the other wing and he cut in before driving his shot over the United bar. Three minutes later a timely interception by referee Dallas halted another Dons attack.

The visitors went ahead in the 40th minute when Thompson hit a tremendous volley into the roof of the net from 25 yards out following a slip by McNaughton. The visitors then picked up two yellow cards for McGowne and Lauchlan. The latter was booked when he brought down Mackie on the edge of the box in the final minute. Billio fired the resultant free kick into the wall as the half time whistle blew.

. United started the second half strongly and forced the Dons onto the back foot. Billio collected a yellow card in the 49th minute, and a minute later Mackie had an excellent chance. He burst forward on the left, but hit a tame finish, which trickled into the arms of Gallacher. Two minutes later Derek Young tried to curl a shot beyond the keeper, but unfortunately it also curled beyond the far post. Skovdahl decided it was time for a change and Scott Michie replaced Leon Mike in the 56th minute.

Aberdeen should have drawn level in the 61st minute when Darren Young latched on to a defence splitting pass from Deloumeaux. To the crowd's dismay he managed to fire wide from only eight yards. Three minutes later McGuire and Kjaer were injured in a collision as they cleared a United attack and it was several minutes before the game resumed. Michie was looking dangerous up front and was unlucky not to get the break of the ball when he beat Gallacher to a through pass.

The youngster went close again in the 74th minute when he headed a Deloumeaux cross goalward. Lack of pace on the ball made the save easier for Gallacher. Ben Thornley replaced Derek Young in the 77th minute as the Dons tried to carve their way through the United back line and minutes later a Billio corner evaded everyone including Mackie who made a late run to try and connect. In the 83rd minute Mackie had a chance inside the box, but couldn't get his shot away. The ball eventually fell to Darren Young on the edge of the area, but his effort went high over the crossbar.

In a last roll of the dice Aberdeen replaced Darren Young with Chris Clark with only three minutes remaining. Two minutes later, Thornley broke, but the onrushing attackers missed his cross. Aberdeen battled right up to the final whistle, but the damage had been done in the opening period.

Aberdeen Teamsheet:  Kjaer, Deloumeaux, Anderson, McGuire, McAllister, Young (Clark 87), McNaughton, Mike (Michie 56), Billio, Young (Thornley 77), Mackie.

Unused Subs:

Bookings:  Billio (49).

Dundee United Teamsheet:  Gallacher, Lauchlan, Easton, Lilley, Cummings, Griffin, Miller, Thompson, McGowne, Duff, Wilson.

Unused Subs: Patterson for Wilson (84)

Bookings:  McGowne (43),   Lauchlan (45),   Griffin (62)

Referee: Hugh Dallas, Motherwell

Related Links: