Click here to go back to the AFC Heritage Trust Homepage Aberdeen Football Club Heritage Trust Logo  
AFC - Match Report
match report 1982-83 fixture list
Premier Division 
Aberdeen 5 - 1 Dundee United
Kick Off:  3:00 PM   Cooper, Rougvie, Black, Strachan, Rougvie.       Gough 19  
Attendance: 14,000
Venue: Pittodrie Stadium, Aberdeen
Every Doug has his day!
10,000 fans saw Aberdeen dismantling Dundee United's unbeaten league record. This was a five star display by the Dons, who showed a ruthless streak to keep in touch with league leaders Celtic. The Dons' supporters were disappointed that big Doug Rougvie did not score a hat-trick.

Despite a blustery crossfield wind, both sets of players tried to produce cohesive play combined with robust challenges. The Dons had a half-chance when the inrushing Doug Rougvie just failed to connect with a Mark McGhee backheader. Goalmouth incidents were rare in the opening quarter of an hour with the ball being mainly confined to the congested midfield area.
In 19 minutes Gough shook the home support with a typical headed goal from a Milne free kick, which gave Jim Leighton no chance. Aberdeen retaliated with the equaliser 4 minutes later. A Peter Weir cross was only partially cleared by the United defence and Neale Cooper blasted home a great shot from the edge of the penalty box. Having tasted success McGhee twice came close to creating the lead.
Next McAlpine had to finger-tip a powerful Cooper header over the bar after a dazzling Weir run down the wing. The game was no developing into an exciting contest. In 29 minutes the dashing Dons took the lead when a Weir corner-kick reached Rougvie at the far post and the big man's header thundered into the back of the net.
The appetite of the fans had been whetted and they were in fine form. Folk-hero Rougvie had the supporters paying homage again in 41 minutes when he drove in a vicious drive after Weir's cross had been nudged on by McGhee.

The game restarted at the same pulsating pace with United's penalty-box having more and more of the action, although the visitors were having the occasional dangerous foray. Gordon Strachan and Weir were spraying crosses and passes from either wing with unerring accuracy, and the midfield were giving staunch support to Eric Black and McGhee.
Although two goals down the Tannadice team showed they were not down and out and Narey and Malpass moved into attack to blaze a couple of shots goalwards. Whenever the visitors threatened they found Leighton in international form. A full length save from a Kirkwood shot was breathtaking as was an agile clutch from the head of Dodds soon after.
Aberdeen blighted any hopes of a United comeback with a fourth goal in 72 minutes when Black had his customary headed goal. The ammunition, as usual, was supplied by Weir, whose corner-kick found Black's head with pinpoint accuracy. With 5 minutes to go Strachan completed the afternoon's entertainment with a cute goal when he slipped the ball round Hegarty and past the unsighted McAlpine.
Aberdeen had gained their revenge for the three previous United wins with a dominant display which left them sharing second place in the league with the Dundee side, both 3 points behind Celtic.

Source: Match Programme, 24th February 1993

Aberdeen Teamsheet:  Leighton, Kennedy, Rougvie, Cooper, McLeish, Miller, Strachan, Simpson, McGhee, Black, Weir.

Unused Subs:


Dundee United Teamsheet:  McAlpine, Malpas, Stark, Gough, Hegarty, Narey, Bannon, Milne, Kirkwood, Holt, Dodds (Reilly)


Referee: G. B. Smith, Edinburgh

Related Links: