Click here to go back to the AFC Heritage Trust Homepage Aberdeen Football Club Heritage Trust Logo  
AFC - Match Report
match report 1984-85 fixture list
Premier Division 
Aberdeen 4 - 0 Heart of Midlothian
Kick Off:  3:00 PM   McDougall, Falconer, Angus, McDougall.        
Attendance: 16,344
Venue: Pittodrie Stadium, Aberdeen
Hearts "Marooned" in the Second Half
A dreary first half performance by both sides was transformed 17 seconds after the interval when the Dons scored the first goal. Aberdeen sup-porters in the 16,000 crowd certainly enjoyed the second half as the Dons embarked on their campaign to retain their league title.

Teenager Willie Falconer, in the team for Frank McDougall who was suspended for the forth-coming European Cup match away to Dynamo Berlin, immediately threatened with an incisive run. Jim Leighton was the first keeper to touch the ball when he saved a 20 yard shot from Alex MacDonald. Smith and Doug Bell were involved in a nasty collision as they raced for the ball. This resulted in Billy Stark replacing the injured Don. It was a disappointing game and both keepers were in danger of becoming redundant, as they had so little to do. Eventually Leighton blocked a Cowie shot with his knee. In 37 minutes Jardine limped off to be replaced by O'Conner. Two minutes later Neil Simpson fired Aberdeen's first shot on target!! Four minutes from the interval Smith was the hero when he brilliantly saved an Eric Black penalty. Black fouled Neale Cooper but the keeper guessed correctly and pushed the striker's effort round the post.

The Dons restarted with Frank McDougall on for Black and he made a sensational impact by scoring with his first kick of the ball. Ian Angus sent Falconer down the left and McDougall was on the spot ? as he often was during his brief career at Pittodrie ? to sweep the ball behind Smith. This electrifying start placated the fans and their excitement was renewed almost immediately as the Dons struck again in 48 minutes. Simpson sent a clever chip into Hearts' penalty area and young Falconer leapt like a salmon to direct a powerful header into Smith's top left hand corner. Manager Ferguson must have had a few "friendly" words for his team at the interval as Aberdeen were now hitting top form in their bid to keep at the top of the league table. The eager Billy Stark tried to pick out Falconer at the far post with a cunning pass but the greasy ball skidded past the winger's outstretched leg. A third goal arrived in 74 minutes when Stark burst through the middle and the keeper did well to narrow the angle and block the midfielder's effort. The ball rebounded to Angus who netted easily. 3 minutes later Whittaker came on for Park but did not effect the pattern of play. 6 minutes from time McDougall emphasised the home team's superiority with a fourth goal when he headed home a great cross from Willie Mille. Hearts must have wished the full time whistle had gone after the first 45 minutes.

Source: Match Programme, 5th March 1994

Aberdeen Teamsheet:  Leighton, McKimmie, McQueen, Cooper, McLeish, Miller, Bell (Stark), Simpson, Black (McDougall), Angus, Falconer.

Unused Subs:


Heart of Midlothian Teamsheet:  Smith, Kidd, Cowie, Jardine (O'Connor), MacDonald R, Levein, Park (Whittaker), Robertson, Bone, MacDonald A, Black


Referee: D. F. T. Syme, Rutherglen

Related Links: