Click here to go back to the AFC Heritage Trust Homepage Aberdeen Football Club Heritage Trust Logo  
AFC - Match Report
match report 1985-86 fixture list
Premier Division 
Aberdeen 4 - 0 Hibernian
Kick Off:  3:00 PM   Angus, Weir, Miller, McLeish.        
Attendance: 11,819
Venue: Pittodrie Stadium, Aberdeen
11,500 fans witnessed Aberdeen's victory over Hibs, which enabled the Pittodrie club to stay ahead of Hearts at the top of the league. The Dons finished strongly in the last 12 minutes. The visitors quickly forced a corner but the champions almost snatched the lead in 4 minutes when Ian Angus beat Rough from 18 yards only to see his shot hit the post. Both full backs were keen to join in attack and twice Stewart McKimmie came close to scoring from Brian Mitchell crosses. Hibs retaliated and former Don Steve Cowan tested Bryan Gunn with a header.
Aberdeen were determined to score first and Neil Simpson rocked Fulton's head with a vicious volley. In 18 minutes Angus eased the Dons in front, which made up for his earlier bad luck. Alex McLeish passed to Mitchell and Rough could only parry his long-range shot, Angus raced in to stroke the ball home. Two minutes later a Simpson snap shot went inches over the bar. Hibs, seeking revenge for their Skol Cup Final defeat, had travelled north to battle but Aberdeen looked the likelier side to score. Eric Black was causing plenty of aerial problems to the Hibs' defence and he twice almost scored with head flicks. Billy Stark also sneaked a header from a McLeish cross but it went narrowly past.
Simpson should have increased the Dons' lead after a typically powerful run which brushed aside a cluster of green jerseys. He finished with a shot which smacked off Rough's legs. Right on the interval the woodwork came to Hibs' rescue again when Frank McDougall's header crashed off the right hand upright.

The very promising Joe Miller now began to make an impression on the game with his darting runs and McDougall and Neale Cooper almost benefitted from his crosses. Tackles began to get heavier and the yellow card was being used, so it was no surprise when eventually the red card was produced, Durie being the culprit. Manager Blackley and some Hibs' fans made their protests obvious. Handicapped Hibs almost suffered immediately when Miller glanced a header inches wide. Aberdeen introduced Peter Weir for Stark in 67 minutes and he proceeded to show electrifying form on the left wing. May substituted for Callachan in 70 minutes but Aberdeen were dictating the game. Weir was testing Rough with some teasing crosses and young Miller was by now in devastating form. In 78 minutes Aberdeen at last got the vital second goal to put the game beyond Hibs' reach. Miller weaved past two bemused defenders and Weir's first effort from the cutback was headed off the line. The winger was not to be denied and he swept home the rebound. With 3 minutes remaining Miller got his deserved reward for a magnificent afternoon's work with a well-taken shot from 12 yards, following a Weir corner. With only seconds remaining McLeish steered a header strongly past Rough from yet another Weir corner of pinpoint accuracy. Aberdeen now had 23 points, Hearts 22 and Rangers and Celtic each had 20.

Source: Match Programme, 19th December 1992

Aberdeen Teamsheet:  Leighton, McKimmie, Mitchell, Stark (Weir), McLeish, Cooper, Black, Simpson, McDougall, Angus, Miller.

Unused Subs:


Hibernian Teamsheet:  Rough, Sneddon, Milne, Rae, Fulton, Hunter, Kane, Chisholm, Cowan, Durie, Callachan (May)


Referee: W. P. Knowles, Inverurie

Related Links: