Click here to go back to the AFC Heritage Trust Homepage Aberdeen Football Club Heritage Trust Logo  
AFC - Match Report
match report 1904-05 fixture list
Scottish Qualifying Cup First Round 
Aberdeen 4 - 0 Peterhead
Kick Off:    McAulay, Low (Pen), McKay, Knowles.        
Attendance: 1,500
Venue: Pittodrie Stadium, Aberdeen
An Easy Passage
Aberdeen had Peterhead as their opponents on Saturday at Pittodrie when the opening game in the Qualifying Cup competition was decided. The homesters won the toss and elected to play, with a strong sun in their favour, towards the sea. Knowles forced a corner for the homesters in the opening minutes, but nothing came of it. The Peterhead's left wing had a look in and kept the home defence busy for some time, but they did not get a good chance for a shot and MacFarlane was only once troubled. For a time the "Black and Gold Brigade" had the best of the exchanges, but score they could not. Reid at back, who combined good tackling with strong kicking, and the visitors' halves were the cause of the non-goal-scoring - the latter by their ceaseless worrying tactics. After Lawson had saved twice in rather fluky fashion, McAulay headed into the net. Play brightened up somewhat, but as no further scoring took place, the teams crossed over with a goal separating each. On resuming, Peterhead showed great dash, and the ground team's defence had an anxious time, but MacFarlane, Murray, and McNicol came out of the ordeal with flying colours - the goalkeeper saving very cleverly on one occasion. A penalty was awarded the Aberdeen, for Reid tripping McKay within the line, from which Low scored with an easy shot. Not long after McKay put on number three with a header, and then Knowles scored number four from a very difficult position. The game was now of a tame description, and no one was sorry when the whistle sounded. Aberdeen 4. Peterhead 0.

Points from Pittodrie.

There was a surprisingly good crowd at Pittodrie on Saturday. Perhaps the good weather accounted for this.
We don't object to a team being a few minutes late, but when it is a matter of over half an hour we certainly do.
The homesters indulged in shoot-for-goal practice during the time of waiting, and thereby helped the crowd to pass the time.
An Aberdeen crowd is nothing if not candid.
Strang was told, from a member of the "sixpenny side," that it was his last chance! !
Although the score was not a huge one, yet it served its purpose.
The visitors' style of play kept the home team from doing anything "fancy" or scientific - or from scoring goals, for that matter.

MacFarlane was all right in the home goal. It is good for Aberdeen that this has been the case so far.
Murray and McNicol were very safe, and kept the visitors out when required. The former tackles and recovers well, but has a strong tendency to kick into touch.
The skipper got a right royal welcome.
Low was the best of the halves, while Halkett was evidently bent on an afternoon's enjoyment over the game.
The centre half played rather poorly, and we are afraid will require to take a rest.

The front rank showed better play and combination in the second half, and would do with a further trial if the players would only try and study each other's style of play.
This point is more noticeable in regard to the wings and to the centre forward.
Knowles's goal was the best of the match - taken in a difficult position.
Peterhead, as a team, are not a bad lot considering the few chances they have of improving their play with better teams. We wonder if they got any tips on Saturday?
Lawson, in goal, has the build of a custodian, but would require some good hard training to improve his agility. His stockings had a nasty habit of coming down in the middle of a scrimmage.
Reid at left back gave a fine exposition of the game and was the saviour of his side. He is worth looking after. His partner was fluky, and is a rather ungainly player but would come out in better company.
All three halves played well, their only fault being in banging the ball too much.
The forwards were weak, with the exception of the centre Imlah, and the left wing.
Mr. Hood, of Perth, was referee, and satisfied both crowd and players.
This is the highest praise we could give him.

Source: Bon-Accord September 8, 1904

Although Peterhead had choice of ground in their cup-tie with the Aberdeen, the prospect of a bigger "gate" at Aberdeen induced the Peterhead Club to play off their tie at Pittodrie, and the match took place in presence of a large turnout of spectators. Duncan McNicol, captain of the Aberdeen team, turned out for the first time this season, while Ellis was unable to take his place in the forward line. The teams were:- Aberdeen: Macfarlane; Murray, D. McNicol; Halkett, Strang, Low; Knowles, McKay, G. McNicol, McAulay, Ritchie.
Peterhead: Lowson; Robertson, Reid; McIntosh, Anderson, Bell; Dawson. McAulay, Imlay, Murdo, Jeffrey.
Referee - Mr. J. Hood, Perth

The Peterhead team were late in arriving, and t was fully half an hour after the advertised time that the visitors set the ball in motion, with the sun in their eyes. The Peterhead left wing were early prominent, and Jeffrey made several praiseworthy efforts to break through. Strong jacking by the Aberdeen half-backs transferred play to the other end of the field, and a miskick by the Peterhead right back resulted in a corner being granted to Aberdeen. Jeffrey again had a capital run on the left beating several opponents in quick succession, and was not stopped until he got within a few yards of Macfarlane. Peterhead displayed plenty of energy, but were erratic when near goal. Knowles got away on the Aberdeen right, and crossed over to the left, where Ritchie shot past, while G. McNicol also sent the ball wide. The bustling tactics of the Peterhead team created a good deal of amusement among the spectators, but, take all over, the football displayed on both sides was very poor. About thirty minutes from the start, the Aberdeen forwards made a combined effort to open the scoring, and in this they were successful. Knowles had a clever run up the right wing, and, as the result of a corner beautifully sent in by the right winger, McAulay headed past the goalkeeper, thus registering the first goal of the match. The Aberdeen right wing almost got through again, but the Peterhead left back was very safe both in kicking and tackling. Imlah kept Jeffrey well supplied with the ball, and in all fairness it must be said that Peterhead were at least worth a goal on the run of the play. Corners to both teams were easily cleared by the backs, and half-time arrived with the game standing - Aberdeen 1 goal, Peterhead 0.

The opening stages of the second half saw the Peterhead pressing. Ritchie and McAulay got away on the left, the first named centring when in a favourable position, but McNicol, at centre forward, drove the ball high over the bar. Good tackling by the Peterhead centre half checked a raid on the visitors' goal by the Aberdeen forwards. Macfarlane easily cleared from the Peterhead centre, and subsequently two corners to the Pittodrie eleven were got safely away by the Peterhead backs. Ritchie was pulled up on several occasions for offside, and then Peterhead almost equalized, Macfarlane saving a fast high shot from the centre. Knowles and McKay carried the play towards the Peterhead goal, and from about ten yards out from goal McKay made a feeble attempt at saving [shooting?]. The extreme wing men in the Aberdeen forward line sent the ball into the centre time after time, but McNicol made poor use of his opportunities. Ultimately Ritchie got round the Peterhead backs and when about to shoot for goal he was tripped by the left back, and Low added a second goal from the penalty kick. Thereafter, Aberdeen pressed to the finish, and McKay and Knowles put on a third and a fourth goal. Peterhead failed to get the ball past Macfarlane, and the game ended - Aberdeen 4 goals, Peterhead 0.
The match was one of the most uninteresting witnessed at Pittodrie for a considerable time, and there was a marked absence of anything in the nature of scientific football.

Source: Aberdeen Daily Journal, 5th September 1904

Aberdeen Teamsheet:  MacFarlane, Murray, McNicol, Halkett, Strang, Low, Knowles, McKay, McNicol, McAulay, Ritchie.

Unused Subs:


Peterhead Teamsheet:  Lawson; Robertson, Reid; Macintosh, Anderson, Bell; Davidson, McAulay, Imlah, Munro, Joffray


Referee: Mr. J. Hood, Perth

Related Links: