Click here to go back to the AFC Heritage Trust Homepage Aberdeen Football Club Heritage Trust Logo  
AFC - Match Report
match report 1904-05 fixture list
Div 2 (Old) 
Aberdeen 7 - 2 Albion Rovers
Kick Off:    McAulay, Edgar, Halkett, Ruddiman, Harvey, McNicol, Ruddiman.       Quinn  
Attendance: 5,500
Venue: Pittodrie Stadium, Aberdeen
The return fixture between these teams was played at Pittodrie Park on Saturday. Aberdeen rearranged their front line, and the result was that they simply revelled in goal getting. The home side led by two to nothing at the interval, and in the second period had another five to their credit, the Rovers scoring twice. Result:- Aberdeen, seven goals; Albion Rovers, two.

Source: The Scotsman, 1905-03-06

Aberdeen met Albion rovers at Pittodrie Park on Saturday afternoon under Scottish League auspices. The match was played in very mild weather, but the overnight downpour of rain rendered the surface of the pitch a trifle greasy. The teams were as follows:- Aberdeen: Macfarlane; Murray, McNicol; Halkett, Strang, Low; Harvey, McNicol, Ruddiman, McAulay, Edgar. Albion Rovers: Muir; Ferguson, Diamond; Chalmers, Ramsey, Boyd; Orrock, Duguid, Quinn, Main, O'Hara.
Referee - Mr. Hamilton, Govan

At the outset, tricky work by McAulay brought Aberdeen into the rovers' territory, resulting in a fruitless corner being forced by Ruddiman. Edgar had a splendid try after having propelled the ball with great speed down the field, but the shot was a few inches high. The Rovers then went east, but their siege was only momentary. Seven minutes from the start Aberdeen opened through a splendid shot by McAulay. "Ecky" Halkett let Harvey off nicely, and passed to Ruddiman, who quickly made ground. The centre then passed to McAulay, who was giving a great exhibition. He capped a series of pretty movements by completely outwitting Muir, the ball being practically walked into the net. Duncan McNicol was in great form, giving the forwards some there's chances. The second goal was not long in coming. The huge punt the home skipper planted the ball in the rovers' goalmouth, and half-a-dozen hence were ready to receive it. It fell to the lot of Edgar to head through. Aberdeen was thus two goals up in fifteen minutes. As the game advanced to the visitors took more say in matters, and twice Rab's charge was in danger. McAulay continue to be the outstanding forward on the field up to the interval, and the Rovers were fortunate in not having to restart with more than two goals down. On resuming, Main change places with O'Hara, but the former did not operate on the extreme left with much success. A spirited attack by the Rovers, led by Muir, was followed by a smart transference of play, but the relief was given by Ruddiman shooting high. Halkett served up the next incident, and who shot was a beauty. Scarcely had the ball been sent in motion and the Rovers from a sensational breakaway scored. A slit by the Low was taken advantage of by Quinn, who scored from short range. Aberdeen retaliated with great celerity, and Ruddiman, Harvey, and McNicol all scored, the former notching two points. Right up to the finish the local forwards had the Rovers' defence on tenterhooks, and a one sided game ended:- Aberdeen, 7; Albion Rovers,2. The gate amounted to 100 to.

Source: Aberdeen Daily Journal, 6th March 1905

Aberdeen Teamsheet:  MacFarlane, Murray, McNicol, Halkett, Strang, Low, Harvey, McNicol, Ruddiman, McAulay, Edgar.

Unused Subs:


Albion Rovers Teamsheet:  Muir; Ferguson, Diamond; Chalmers, Ramsey, Boyd; Orrock, Duguid, Quinn, Main, O'Hara


Referee: Mr. Hamilton, Govan

Related Links: