Click here to go back to the AFC Heritage Trust Homepage Aberdeen Football Club Heritage Trust Logo  
AFC - Match Report
match report 1945-46 fixture list
Southern League Cup Final 
Aberdeen 3 - 2 Rangers
Kick Off:  3:00 PM   Baird 1, Williams 19, Taylor 90.       Duncanson 49, Thornton 70  
Attendance: 135,000
Venue: Hampden Park, Glasgow
Mastering the vagaries of a light ball on the hard ground, the Aberdeen half-backs, Cowie, Dunlop and Taylor, were the rock on which Rangers foundered in as thrilling and dramatic a Cup Final as has ever been played on Hampden Park.
It was thrilling in that Aberdeen scored two goals in the first and tenth minute of the first half, and Rangers in a courageous and fighting rally scored as many in the first fourteen minutes of the second half; it was dramatic in that Taylor, almost with the last kick of the game, shot the winning goal when the 120000 spectators were convinced that extra time would be needed to settle this rousing duel. However fortuitous Taylor's goal - the ball almost miraculously, it seemed, pierced Rangers' packed goalmouth - justice was served in the end; the honours were with Aberdeen. It was the work both in defence and attack of the Aberdeen half-backs that won the day for the Northern side, and for once Rangers had to play second fiddle in a department of the game in which they are usually supreme.
Watkins and the veteran Symon failed signally to take the ball through in a way that Cowie and Taylor did while Young was thrown out of his stride by the terrier like tactics of little Williams; Aberdeen's South African centre which was in striking contrast with the calm and confident fashion in which Dunlop controlled Arnison. While Dunlop was perhaps the personality of the match, the crowd was completely captivated by Cowie's prodigious throwing of the ball from the touchline right into the heart of the Rangers defence. With a little run, Cowie skied the ball vast distances, high or low, and once or twice Shaw in the Rangers goal had to step lively.
Indeed the first of these spectacular throws in the first minute paved the way for Baird to head home the opening goal.
It was strange to see Shaw, the Scotland Captain, so upset. He found young Kiddie, slyly backed by Hamilton, often more than he could manage. No doubt Shaw shared in Rangers' general consternation when that first minute goal was scored while his confidence suffered another rude blow when a little later a faulty attempt to clear on his part allowed Kiddie to go through and lay on the ball for Williams to score with as fine a hooked shot as has been seen for many a day.

Perhaps the most spectacular goal of the match was scored by Thornton. Arnison, lying well back, made the pass. Thornton was on it like a shot and before the Aberdeen defence knew where they were he had run almost 30 yards before firing a terrific ball into the corner of the net. Cooper, Aberdeen's veteran right-back had the Caskie Duncanson wing subdued, although had Charlie been able to shoot first time instead of trying to bring the ball under control he might have had at least one goal to his credit.
Duncanson headed Rangers' second goal. There were several 'near things' to keep the crowd shouting. Thornton, Kiddie and Cowie all had shots saved by the woodwork.

Source: Glasgow Herald, 13th May 1946

N.B. The Press & Journal of 13th May estimated that about 16,000 Dons' fans travelled down by road, rail and air.

N.B. Every newspaper that weekend referred to the (Scottish) League Cup Final. There was no qualification of "Southern".
Aberdeen Teamsheet:  Johnstone, Cooper, McKenna, Cowie, Dunlop, Taylor, Kiddie, Hamilton, Williams, Baird, McCall.

Unused Subs:


Rangers Teamsheet:  John Shaw, Gray, Jock Shaw, Watkins, Young, Symon, Waddell, Thornton, Arniston, Duncanson, Caskie


Referee: W. Webb, Glasgow

Related Links: