Click here to go back to the AFC Heritage Trust Homepage Aberdeen Football Club Heritage Trust Logo  
AFC - Match Report
match report 1907-08 fixture list
Aberdeenshire Cup Third Round 
Aberdeen 3 - 0 Buckie Thistle
Kick Off:  2:15 PM   Ritchie, Robertson, McKinlay.        
Attendance: 0
Venue: Pittodrie Stadium, Aberdeen
Aberdeen A met Buckie Thistle in the first round of the Aberdeenshire cup at Pittodrie on Saturday afternoon. A cold wind blew across the pitch from the east, and the attendance was somewhat small. Teams:-

Aberdeen A: Mutch; Brebner, Tait; Hannah, Simpson, Robertson; Edgar, McKinley, Collins, Ritchie, Morgan.
Buckie Thistle: Reid; Reid, Hay; Thomson, Clark, Stewart; McKerron, Robertson, McKenzie, Black, Leask.
Referee - Mr. J. H. Russel.

Collins kicked off, and the homesters were soon swarming around Reid. Individual play was indulged in too freely, however, and had Ritchie, instead of trying to beat the defence himself, passed to a colleague, Aberdeen would have scored ere the game was many minutes old. A creditable drive from Simpson went over the bar, and following another dribbling exhibition by Ritchie, Morgan forced a corner. A spirited bit of combination let Buckie down on Mutch, but the attack was easily repulsed. For a cup tie the game was tame in the extreme, Aberdeen evidently not taking things very seriously. A minute from the interval Ritchie be read with a hard drive from close in.

Having now the wind in their favour, home team early made the running, and the Thistle defence underwent a trying time. Reid's exhibition in goal was really creditable, and time and again he saved his side when the backs were completely beaten. Robertson was responsible for Aberdeen's second goal. Securing the ball almost on the penalty line, a left-half let drive, and the leather flew over the heads of several players into the net. As the result of a clever individual effort, Mckinley scored a third shortly after, the game ending Aberdeen A, 3; Buckie Thistle, 0.

Source: Aberdeen Daily Journal, 16th December 1907


Aberdeenshire Cup.

The A's were not up to full strength on Saturday, and evidently this and the cold weather kept the crowd from turning out in anything like numbers equivalent to pay expenses. The play of either team was not of a very high order, due in a great measure by the wide diversity of style. While the visitors' attack put little faith in combination, they could follow up fast, always being eager to seize an opening. It was not due to great care by the home custodian or backs that prevented the Thistle from scoring in the first half, for they had several chances which they threw away. The home side fiddled and diddled so much with the ball in the first half that the spectators had given up hope of seeing them score. Just on half-time, McKinley got one past, and the teams crossed over. "Gowie," who had been ploughing through everything, was at last rewarded for his efforts by scoring. Ritchie added a third, the Thistle being seldom dangerous in the closing half. Aberdeen A enter the next round by their three clear goals victory, when they meet University at Pittodrie.

Source: Bon-Accord, 19th December 1907

Aberdeen Teamsheet:  Mutch, Brebner, Tait, Hannah, Simpson, Robertson, Edgar, McKinlay, Collins, Ritchie, Morgan.

Unused Subs:


Buckie Thistle Teamsheet:  Reid; Reid, Hay; Thomson, Clark, Stewart; McKerron, Robertson, McKenzie, Black, Leask


Referee: Mr J. H. Russell, Aberdeen

Related Links: