Click here to go back to the AFC Heritage Trust Homepage Aberdeen Football Club Heritage Trust Logo  
AFC - Match Report
match report 1939-40 fixture list
Scottish Second XI Cup Third Round 
Aberdeen 6 - 3 Hibernian
Kick Off:  3:00 PM   Pattillo, Pattillo 14, Pattillo 19, Anderson 23, Pattillo 62, Ferguson 90.       Anderson, Davidson 44, Davidson 63  
Attendance: 0
Venue: Pittodrie Stadium, Aberdeen
Double Success For The Dons

Easy Win in Second XI.

Cup-tie SATURDAY was a happy day for Aberdeen Football Club. For first time since the war, they fielded two teams and registered a double success.

In the Regional League game at Falkirk two Aberdeen players were ordered off, and one home player met the same fate.
Dons did well to shatter the " Bairns'" home record with what was more or less a makeshift eleven. single goal decided the issue, and the scorer was McPherson (Rangers).
The majority of the Aberdeen first team turned out against Hibs in the Second XI. Cup competition at Pittodrie. The Dons won rather easily by six goals to three against the holders. They now meet Motherwell at Pittodrie in the fourth round.


The Easter Road side included only a sprinkling of first team players, and Aberdeen were never hard pressed. The visitors put up a plucky display, but they were outclassed.
Pattillo was the Dons' match - winner. He proved a real opportunist, netting four of the six goals. All were well taken.
Goals came rather easily to the home team, and this tended to make them become too casual. In the opening twenty-three minutes they found the net three times. The first half proved quite interesting, but play deteriorated after the interval.


Aberdeen's three newcomers acquitted themselves with credit. McDonald (Queen's Park) was the better back. Jock Thomson was outstanding at half back. The left-half was the mainstay of the side, forcing on play in fine style.
Forward the honours must to Pattillo. Ferguson also played well, and Anderson was dangerous raider.
The Hibs defence had a gruelling time in the first half. Barker worked hard back and Keane was the pick of the middle line. Anderson proved a tricky centre, and Gilmartin on the right wing was fast and clever.


Aberdeen opened the scoring in fourteen minutes. When Bain put Anderson in possession the winger lobbed the ball down the middle. Pattillo beat the defence in the race for the ball and found the net with a terrific drive.
The Dons' leader got his second goal five minutes later. Ferguson headed the ball to Pattillo from Scott free-kick, and the centre smashed it home.
In twenty-three minutes Anderson came in from the wing to meet ground pass from Williams. Stevenson got his hand the Falkirk player's shot, but he could not stop it.


The home defence were caught by surprise when Mayes sent the ball into the middle along the ground. Anderson, the Edinburgh leader, was on the alert and found the net with neat flick.
The Dons soon replied. Ferguson let Williams away and Pattillo slammed the ball home from the winger's pass.
Shortly before the interval Hibs got a second goal. Mayes sent the ball ahead to Anderson, and Davidson beat Rennie with another neat flick.


Pattillo got his own fourth and his side's fifth goal seventeen minutes after the interval. corner from Anderson was only partially cleared and Pattillo netted.
Hibs immediately made for the other end and Davidson beat Rennie with oblique shot. Just on the final whistle Ferguson scored for Aberdeen from pass from Thomson.

Source: Press & Journal, 15th April 1940

Aberdeen Teamsheet:  Rennie, McDonald, Temple, Scott, Waddell, Thomson, Williams, Bain, Pattillo, Ferguson, Anderson.

Unused Subs:


Hibernian Teamsheet:  Stevenson; Barker, Logan; Fleming, Ewen, Keane; Gilmartin, Mayes, Anderson, Davidson, Gallacher


Referee: J. M. Martin, Fife

Related Links: