Click here to go back to the AFC Heritage Trust Homepage Aberdeen Football Club Heritage Trust Logo  
AFC - Match Report
match report 1910-11 fixture list
Div 1 (Old) 
Aberdeen 2 - 1 St. Mirren
Kick Off:    Murray, McIntosh.       Husband  
Attendance: 4,000
Venue: Pittodrie Stadium, Aberdeen
At Aberdeen before 5000 spectators and on a snow covered ground. Aberdeen almost scored in the first minute through Lennie. St. Mirren responded with a brisk movement on the right wing, and Cunningham missed the net with a fine drive. Both sides settled down to play good football. St. Mirren were the more dangerous side by reason of their wide-passing methods. The Paisley men scored a clever goal shortly before half-time, Husband heading past King from a Centre. In the second half the home team re-arranged their front rank, McIntosh replacing Murray in the centre. St. Mirren, however, were early in evidence, and good work by J. Cunningham and Husband caused a lot of trouble at the Aberdeen goal mouth. Latterly, however, Aberdeen went away strongly, and Murray equalised, and McIntosh soon added a second. Result:- Aberdeen, two goals; St. Mirren, one.

Source: The Scotsman, 21st November 1910

After a game in which there were many exciting periods of play, and after that it appeared that the match would end differently, Aberdeen defeated Saint Mirren in a Scottish League fixture at Pittodrie by 2 goals to 1. The wintry conditions which prevailed for favourable neither to the playing nor viewing of the game, yet fully 4000 spectators saw the following teams do battle:-

Aberdeen: King; Colman, Hume; Wilson, Wyllie, Millar; Soye, McIntosh, Murray, Travers, Lennie.
Saint Mirren: Grant; Reid, Riddell; Paton, Robertson, Weir; R. Cunningham, J. Cunningham, McDougall, Milne, Husband.
Referee - Mr. John bell, Dundee.

The winning of the toss gave Saint Mirren the assistance of a slight breeze towards the sea, but Aberdeen were first dangerous, Lennie sending over an ideal cross which Murray misheaded. This was followed by a raid on the home backs by MacDougall, but after this had been thwarted Wilson had a terrific drive which went slightly high of the mark. Aberdeen monopolized the attacking for a time, an exceedingly tricky and amusing work by Lennie looked like having a tangible result, but Travers had his shot intercepted by Reid from a fruitless flag kick. The home left continued to attract attention, and a pretty movement was culminated by Millar driving high. Some difficulty was experienced by the players in retaining their footing, and sundry falls substituted amusement in the absence of enthusiasm in a somewhat dark period of play which followed. The brothers Cunningham were the medium's by which Saint Mirren first threatened the home citadel, but lack of support made their effort futile. Some dashing play was witnessed when Soye originated a sustained but futile Aberdeen attack. He first enabled Murray to test Grant with a grounder, and the centre was in the act of pouncing upon a cross from the ex-Newcastle man when he was sandwiched. for a time Aberdeen attacked strongly, but the inside forwards were prone to get mixed up, and muddling, combined with slowness on the part of Murray and Travers, allowed chances to slip past. Riddell on one occasion saved a certain point by playing into corner when Soye was about to kick into the unprotected side of the goal. The homesters seemed to ease down after this, and several determined onslaughts were made on King's charge. The home halves wavered, but the backs never faltered, and it was not until a corner had been cleared and two drives from R. Cunningham blocked successively by Colman and Hume, that Husband tipped through the opening goal. Encouraged by this success, St Mirren were spurred to greater efforts, and R. Cunningham and Husband had tries which, attended with some luck, might have increased the lead, and the attacking and defensive work of Robertson, the visiting centre-half, backed up by sturdy and robust back play, kept the home of van from getting agoing. It was left to Soye to break the monotony, but his parting effort, like that of many previous attempts by his colleagues, was misdirected. Near the close of the half, King's goal had a narrow escape, the ball rolling across the goalmouth, but there was not a Saint up to put it through.


Murray and McIntosh exchanged places after the interval, and the substitution of more bash for the scientific and less robust play of Murray tended under the circumstances on this occasion to give more effect to the home attack. Quite early McIntosh had Reid and Riddell in difficulties, but Robertson went to the rescue, and the Saints were within an ace of increasing their lead. Husband outdistanced Colman, and King tipped his final shot over the bar for a fruitless corner, but a shot from R. Cunningham which went over the bar marked the beginning of a period in which the visiting forwards were out of the canvas. Aberdeen attacked with great persistency, but all their clever outfield work was wasted on a defence that such as the Saints put up, and ill-luck seemed to dog their every effort at shooting, which in many cases was of the most lamentable nature. After Travers and Murray had each placed the ball inches on the wrong side of the post from an Aberdeen point of view, Millar had the chagrin to see a terrific volley from his foot rebound from the upright, and Lennie later to send past. Murray got the ball in the net, but offside was given, and Aberdeen pegged away in a determined effort to get level. Millar again had a characteristic drive, this time of the elevated nature, and subsequent efforts by McIntosh, Soye, and Murray were all disposed of in a daring fashion by Grant. One of the most exciting periods of the game was during the negotiation of a corner-kick forced by Aberdeen. Five or six players all jumped in the air at once, and simultaneously they fell heaped together in front of Grant. Still the equaliser did not come out the ball bounced up and down in front of the visiting goalkeeper, it cannoned up against players in its flight to the longed-for haven, it was fisted out by Grant in fearless style, but still it did not cross the line. Pressure of this kind was bound to have a tangible result, and when Murray at last got the equaliser through a medley of excited players it was the realisation of a hard-sought objective. As if imbued with electrical energy, Aberdeen and set themselves to win the game, and succeeded. Amidst intense excitement, Soye netted, but was given offside, then Millar lost an opportunity by elevated shooting. Reward for the efforts of the homesters was at hand, however, and McIntosh, by his dash, put on the winning goal a few minutes from time. Saint Mirren made one last great effort to the demon their fortune, but failed to take advantage of the only chance - a free-kick granted against Millar close in. As the whistle blew Hume was hoped in tackling Cunningham, and Aberdeen retired the holders of hard-fought-for laurels.

By their win on this occasion, Aberdeen share with Rangers the position at the top of the Scottish League, although the Glasgow combination has the better goal average.

Source: Aberdeen Daily Journal, 21st November 1910

Aberdeen Teamsheet:  King, Colman, Hume, Wilson, Wyllie, Millar, Soye, McIntosh, Murray, Travers, Lennie.

Unused Subs:


St. Mirren Teamsheet:  Grant; Reid, Riddell; Paton, Robertson, Weir; R. Cunningham, J. Cunningham, McDougall, Milne, Husband


Referee: Mr. John Bell, Dundee

Related Links: