Click here to go back to the AFC Heritage Trust Homepage Aberdeen Football Club Heritage Trust Logo  
AFC - Match Report
match report 1889-90 fixture list
Aberdeenshire Cup Semi Final 
Victoria United 1 - 2 The Aberdeen
Kick Off:    Campbell       Farnworth, Key  
Attendance: 6,000
Venue: Victoria Bridge, Aberdeen
These teams met at the Victoria Bridge Ground. Despite the unpropitious nature of the weather, the interest of the public in the content was shown by the large crowd which assembled, the number present being between 5000 and 6000 - almost if not quite the largest turnČout that has been seen at any local football fixture. Both clubs were weakened by the absence of several of their best men. In the case of the Aberdeen D. Wood and T. Ketchen were unable to play, the former being at present in England on business, and the latter indisposed. Good substitutes, however, were found in Veitch and Keith. Veitch's return to the football field was hailed with satisfaction by the spectators, who accorded to him and Farnworth, a promising player, a most hearty reception. The Victoria missed Simpson at back, Ingram taking his place.
Aberdeen lost the toss and kicked off, at once getting past the Victoria forwards, and dribbling well up the field. Campbell unfortunately kicked outside, and from the throw in matters looked serious for the ground team, whose defence at this stage appeared to be rather weak. Relief was, however, got by she ball being sent behind. From the kick-off at goal Aberdeen again got upon the sphere, which was brought down to close quarters where Brown spoilt a chance. The Vic right wing got away, but were pulled up by the Aberdeen half-backs. Lively play ended in the Vics having to concede a corner, from which nothing of a practical kind resulted, the Turner-Leggat combination managing to change the venue by some smart play. They were, unfortunately, not very efficiently supported, and a well-placed ball was easily got hold of by Veitch, who sent it spinning up the field. Aberdeen once more pressed, and Farnworth, amid enthusiastic cheering, scored the first goal of the match. The point was well taken, the ball being sent through quite a shoal of the Victoria men, and Gray missing. From the kick-off the play was got down to Aberdeen ground, and the Victoria had hard lines more than once in failing to score. Their fault seemed to be in passing too much at the goal mouth. At mid-field both sides gave a capital exhibition of clever play, their manoeuvring calling forth the cheers of the crowd; but ultimately the ground men got an opening, and went for the Aberdeen goal with great determination. Again was the fine defence of the Aberdeen backs made manifest, and a couple of corners, out of which nothing came, were all that fell to the blues. Immediately afterwards Turner bad another beautiful dribbling run, but passing to the left wing, Bain and Grant allowed Key to take the ball from them. At the Victoria goal Key looked like scoring. Gray, however, was on the alert, and play was soon shifted to the Aberdeen territory. And here a lucky thing for the ground men occurred. Turner sent in a long shot from his place on the right, and the ball rebounding against one of the posts, Campbell rushed up and sent it through - a very soft goal for which Veitch could hardly be held to be responsible. The equalising point gave rise to great excitement both among players and spectators, the effect upon the former being to make them set to with greater dash and energy - if that were possible - than before. Unfortunately, the rain was falling in torrents, and the ground, which at the start was far from being firm, soon assumed the appearance of a huge mud puddle. The remaining five minutes of the first half brought forth no change in the contest, and accordingly when the whistle blew the game was level.
No time was lost in restarting as it was seen that darkness was fast coming down. The second half was not well entered upon when Brown had a fine dribble, and passing to Whitehead, that player sent the ball home. The point, however, was disallowed by the referee on the ground of offside. The next fifteen minutes' play was all in favour of the Victoria United, and during that time they spoilt several rare chances - Grant on one occasion being to blame. Aberdeen afterwards took matters in hand. They called twice upon Gray to save, and coming to the goal a third time Robertson ought to have scored, but didn't. Whitehead followed by skying the ball over the cross-bar (a la Rugby rules). Victoria having missed an opportunity, the Aberdeen got down, and from a slight scrimmage Key scored a second goal, The game ended: Aberdeen, 2; Victoria United, 1.
Play all over was very good, and while for the most part the Aberdeen had the upper hand, the Vics are to be congratulated on the form they displayed. Under more favourable atmospheric conditions, too, they may yet give their opponents of Saturday trouble. The game, it is understood, has been protested on the plea of darkness.

Source: Aberdeen Journal, 13th January 1890



The protest by the Victoria United, occupying as it does four large pages of notepaper, came before the Association on Tuesday, and nearly the whole of the evening was taken up in discussing it. It was finally resolved to defer coming to a decision in the matter until such time as an official report was received from the referee. Mr Young, of the Clyde, whatever he may now do, was understood to hold the opinion that no Cup tie ought to have been played under Saturday's conditions, and as the majority of people who have had experience of each events entertain the same view, the probability is that the Vics will get another opportunity of securing a place in the final. Given a dry day and firm ground, they ought to do better at a second meeting.


may have been the Aberdeen - it were rank heresy to say otherwise, seeing the authorities (?) are so decided on the point - but the Vics bad not a little of the play. For full twenty minutes of the second half the Chanonry men were not in it. After that, however, the Whites displayed wonderful activity on the ball - the half-backs shining, as, indeed, they did all through the game. The Victoria forwards were a smart lot, but the Turner-Leggat combination was a good deal spoilt by the tackling of Thompson. Key would appear to, have now found his place, for certain it is he has not played with such dash and effect since be left the back division. Robertson was hardly a success, but Keith came off all right, and promises to develop. Of the Victoria United perhaps Ririe was the most conspicuous. He hardly allowed a ball to pass him, and his tackling and kicking were characterised by great judgment.

Source: Aberdeen Journal, 16th January 1890

The most important event of the local season (so far) namely the semi-final for the Cup, between the Aberdeen and Victoria United, was decided on Saturday. It was a miserable day to play football, he rain poured during the greater part of the game, making the ground very heavy and the ball greasy. Neither team was at full strength, the Vics, wanting Simpson, full back, and the Whites D. Wood and T. Ketchen. Ingram for the Vics, and A. Veitch and J. Reith were the substitutes. The game was started pretty sharp. Losing the toss, the Aberdeen kicked off and had it at the other end in a jiffy. They kept the Vics' defence very lively till Farnworth, from centre-half, scored. After that, the Vics had nearly all the play till half-time. Leggat equalised before half-time, the score standing one each.

In the second half the Aberdeen went away at a rare pace and scored in a few minutes, but offside was claimed and allowed. They then fell away and the Vics had it all to themselves for about twenty minutes. It looked as if the game was to end in a draw. The Aberdeen forwards were playing a very poor game up to this, but they now put some life in their play, and getting near the Vics' goal managed to score. After this, the Aberdeen had nearly all the play till the finish. The game was very stiffly contested, there being very little to choose between the teams. The Aberdeen defence played a splendid game, but Key was the only forward that did anything. The Victoria all played well, especially the halfs. Pirie at back gave a fine display, and Turner and Leggat were easily the best forwards on the field. The left wing combine well but lack dash. It is a pity Gorman was hurt so near the start, as he was about useless after the accident. It is understood that the Victoria have protested on the ground of darkness.

Source: Northern Figaro, 18th January 1890

Victoria United Teamsheet:  Gray; Ingram, Ririe; Kirkland, Campbell, Gorman; Turner (c), Leggat, Morrison, Bain, Grant.


The Aberdeen Teamsheet:  Veitch; Keith, A. Wood; D. McVay, A. Farnworth, J. Thompson; W. A. Key (c), G. Robertson, M. Campbell, W. Brown, A. Whitehead


Referee: Mr. Young, Clyde

Related Links: