Click here to go back to the AFC Heritage Trust Homepage Aberdeen Football Club Heritage Trust Logo  
AFC - Match Report
match report 1919-20 fixture list
Div 1 (Old) 
Morton 3 - 1 Aberdeen
Kick Off:    French 3, Seymour, McLean       Archibald.  
Attendance: 5,500
Venue: Cappielow Park, Greenock
Aberdeen gave Morton a hard game at Greenock yesterday, and on the run of play a draw would have been a good result. On the home side, Fulton and McLean displaced Ormond and Stevenson, and for Aberdeen, McDonald came into the front line in place of J. Wright. The match was attended by fully 6000 spectators. French opened the scoring after a short attack by Morton. Football was lively and very even, and improved play by Aberdeen was crowned with a capital goal by Archibald. Soon after crossing over, Seymour put his team again on the lead. Vigorous in attack, Aberdeen were more than once within an ace of equalising. In the last minute, from a break away, Morton netted, the ball coming of McLean, and the visitors retired unlucky losers by 3 goals to 1.

Source: The Scotsman, 9th September 1919

Aberdeen sustained their third defeat of the season in the Scottish League yesterday, when Morton beat them at Greenock by 3 goals to 1. It was the local holiday, and there was an attendance of 5000. It is true Morton one by a margin of two goals, but this was more than the run of the game justified. Their front rank was a class better than that of Aberdeen, but the northern team was well served by a powerful defence, who came out of the game with credit. Aberdeen made a change from the side that lost to Hibernians on Saturday, bringing in Macdonald in place of J. Wright, while Ormond and Stephenson were arrested by Morton, for whom McLean made a first appearance this season.

An Even First Half

The game had a sensational opening. Only 3 minutes had gone when French put his side one up. McNab got off on the right, and crossing to the centre, French neatly beat Brewster and McRobbie, and put the ball well out of Anderson's reach. It was early apparent that Morton were out to atone for Saturday's defeat by Airdrie, and the Aberdeen defenders had an anxious time. The grubby and Hannah withstood the test well, and both put in some lofty kicking. Two corners for Morton were cleared. A clever piece of work by Connon brought the ball into close proximity to Edwards, but Wylie lying offside spoiled the movement. Morton's half backs dominated the game, and the Aberdeen forwards could not get going. Wright had a tough handful in Seymour and McLean, but came out of the tussles well. Anderson was twice called upon to save from Wright and McNab, but in each case cleared with ease. A beautiful first-time drive by Gurley missed narrowly.
Play was now mostly confined to midfield, but a breakaway by Aberdeen brought the equaliser. Connon got the ball and, sending it out to Archibald, the outside left drove it home, with Edwards powerless. Aberdeen now came more into the picture, and a scrimmage in front of goal resulted in Edwards clearing. Stoppages for injuries were frequent.
Brewster kept a close watch on French, and the home centre did not have many opportunities to shine. Wright and McLauchlan were also prominent, and by their sterling play kept a tight grip of the Morton forwards. A pretty movement between Macdonald and Connon looked dangerous, and the centre finished by shooting narrowly past.
At the other end Seymour was well placed when McRobbie nipped and dispossessed him. A minute later French shot past. Archibald at the other end had hard luck, striking the crossbar with a beautiful shot from the touch line. Nobody was up to catch the rebound. The pitch was greasy, and attempts at pretty football were nullified thereby. Many mistakes were made by the players' slipping. The first half was pretty even, and up to this stage a draw of a goal each was a pretty fair index of play. While Morton were, if anything, more aggressive, the sterling defence of the Aberdeen rear men stood out in contrast.

A Disputed Goal

Aberdeen pressed on the resumption, and a bad mistake by young almost let Connon through. The back, however, recovered and cleared. Seymour got possession and, beating two or three opponents, carried the ball up the wing to shoot into anderson's hands.
After a spell of midfield play Hutton wormed his way through, and Edwards was severely stretched in getting his parting shot away. The Aberdeen men were more prominent this half, as strove hard for the lead. Play opened up, and after a splendid solo run French shot past. Shortly after, Gurley missed with an open goal in front of him, and a minute later again shot weakly when well placed. Both sides now infused more vim into their play, and Anderson had to punch cleared on two occasions with a crowd of Morton players around him. A clever bit of work by McIntyre brought him close to Anderson. He bobbed the ball in front of a goal, and Seymour headed through. The Aberdeen players protested, but the referee a loud the point. Inspired by this success, Morton worked hard, and French almost increased the total. The Aberdeen backs had a severe strain, but withstood the test well.
Morton attacked vigorously, and it looked as if they would increase their lead at any moment. McNab had a try, but shot into Anderson's hands. Gurley had another wild attempt, shooting weekly past. Strive as they might, it seemed impossible for them to get passed the centreline, and they were on the defence nearly all the time. Brewster's spoiled a nice run by passing the ball to Connon when Archibald was lying on mark. The Aberdeen forwards now took a spell of attacking, and it was hard luck on them when Wylie struck the post with Edwards well beaten. The ball rebounded into play, and Hutton shot into the keeper's hands. Wyllie and Archibald were prominent in the forwards' movements, and Hutton was never far off the mark. Aberdeen strove vigorously for the equaliser, and Edwards, young, and Fulton were kept on the alert. Connon did not receive the support he should have had, and consequently he did not get many scoring chances. 2 minutes from time Morton secured a third goal through McLean as the result of a corner kick.

Source: Aberdeen Daily Journal, 9th September 1919

Morton Teamsheet:  Edwards; Young, Fulton; McIntyre, Wright, Brown; McNab, Gourlay, French, McLean, Seymour


Aberdeen Teamsheet:  Anderson, Hannah, McRobbie, Wright, Brewster, MacLachlan, Wylie, MacDonald, Connon, Hutton, Archibald.

Unused Subs:


Referee: Mr. G. W. McKenzie, Glasgow

Related Links: