Click here to go back to the AFC Heritage Trust Homepage Aberdeen Football Club Heritage Trust Logo  
AFC - Match Report
match report 1919-20 fixture list
Div 1 (Old) 
Celtic 5 - 0 Aberdeen
Kick Off:    Gallagher 15, Gallacher 30, McInally 55, Cassidy, McLean 80        
Attendance: 12,000
Venue: Celtic Park, Glasgow
Fully 10,000 spectators saw Celtic gain an easy victory over Aberdeen at Parkhead, Glasgow. The Celtic were the superior team all through, and only in the closing ten minutes did the Aberdeen forwards show any sustained combination. Early in the game Gallagher opened the scoring for the Celtic, and the same player got a second goal before the interval, after a fine individual effort. In the second half Aberdeen's defenders put up a stout fight, but could not prevent the Celtic's sprightly forwards from increasing their score to five goals, through McInally, Cassidy, and McLean.

Source: The Scotsman, 12th April 1920

Aberdeen sustained a crushing defeat at Parkhead, Glasgow, where Celtic romped home the easiest of winners by 5 goals to 0. Twelve thousand people looked on at a game which was always fast and keen, and certainly by no means of such a one-sided nature as would be suggested by the score. Aberdeen had only a little less of the leather than their opponents, but whereas the play of the Celtic was marked by a precision and accuracy in passing, on the Aberdeen side the frequency with which the ball found its way direct to the feet of opponents largely contributed to the result. Celtic had the assistance of the wind in the first half, and in the opening stages the Aberdeen defence was sorely tried, and several shots were just wide of Anderson's charge. The opening goal came after fifteen minutes' play when, after a free-kick against Hannah just outside the penalty area, Cringan slipped the ball forward to Gallacher, who was in a suspiciously off-side position, beat Anderson from close range. A shot by Connon and a head effort by Massie were cleared by Shaw, but the Aberdeen forwards, poorly plied by the half backs, could not get steam up. The Celtic attack on the other hand, played delightful football, Gallacher, in particular, being in one his brilliant moods. At the end of half-an-hour's play Gallacher, after he had dribbled nearly the whole of the Aberdeen defence, put his team further ahead with a fairly soft shot. That concluded the scoring in the first half.

Aberdeen resumed strongly, and in the opening minutes their play suggested a much closer result. They were weak front goal, however, but were distinctly unfortunate on one occasion when a shot by Hutton hit the bottom of the upright with Shaw completely beaten. Connon, Grant, and Yule all had tries for goal, but apart from the incident in which Hutton's shot hit the upright, the Celtic defence was never seriously tested. Ten minutes after the interval McInally caught a cross from McLean and put Celtic three ahead, and this was followed by a goal from Cassidy, whose shot, if fast, appeared liveable, and ten minutes from the end McLean met a cross from McAtee to score with a ball that went in off the crossbar. Aberdeen attacked persistently in the closing ten minutes, and Wright, Massie, V. E. Milne, Yule, and Connon all had tries well saved by Shaw. Celtic were immeasurably superior, especially at half-back and forward, and were best served by Dodds, Cringan, McMaster, Gallacher, and Cassidy. Those who were seen to most advantage for Aberdeen were Colman, Hannah, V. E. Milne, and Connon.

Source: Aberdeen Daily Journal, 12th April 1920

Celtic Teamsheet:  Shaw; Livingstone, Dodds; McStey, Cringan, McMaster; McAtee, Gallacher, McInally, Cassidy, McLean


Aberdeen Teamsheet:  Anderson, Colman, Hannah, Wright, Milne, McLaughlin, Grant, Connon, Massie, Hutton, Yule.

Unused Subs:


Referee: W. G. Johnstone, Edinburgh

Related Links: