Click here to go back to the AFC Heritage Trust Homepage Aberdeen Football Club Heritage Trust Logo  
AFC - Match Report
match report 1900-01 fixture list
Northern League Playoff 
Dundee A 3 - 0 Orion
Kick Off:    W. Stewart, McDonald, Mackay        
Attendance: 4,000
Venue: Dens Park, Dundee
These teams met at dens Park on Saturday for the purpose of determining which should attain the premier position in the Northern League. The football season having closed on Wednesday, an extension was necessary to permit the fixture being brought off; but this was easily obtained on the understanding that the proceeds would be utilised for the puerposes of strengthening of the funds of the League. The weather was gloriously fine, and there was a fair attendance, between 3000 and 4000 persons being present. The players were:- Orion: Ritchie; Thomson, Ross; Currie, Willox, Esplin; Grant,Christie, Prophet, Lindsay, Bremner. Dundee A: Stewart; Bowman, Taylor; A. Halkett, W. Stwart, Gowans, McDiarmid, Steven, Mackay, McDonald, J. Halkett. Referee, Mr. Mcleod, Cowlairs.

Favoured by the spin of the coin, the Orion captain chose the west goal, obliging his opponents to open against a blazing sun and a stiff westerly breeze. The Aberdeen men at one invaded, and several bad misses by the home backs considerably increased their prospects. The incursion proved fruitless, however. Settling down, the home quintette got to work in bustling fashion, but the wonderful saving abilities of Ritchie robbed them of the point they strove so hard to secure. The visitors retaliated with vigour, some pretty work on the right eventuating in a stiff shot from Grant. Notwithstanding some close attentions from several of the Aberdeen forwards, the custodian managed to clear, and the danger was for the moment averted. Dundee again became aggressive, and numerous corners were awarded them, all of which were unproductive of results. Increased pressure only served to bring into greater prominence the sterling qualities of Orion's defence, the exhibition of Ritchie, in particular, meritining the encomiums of the crowd. Half-time arrived with the score unopened.

On resuming, Orion opened strongly, and Stewart's energies were early taxed. In an instant the venue was changed, the whites clustering ominously in close proximity to Ritchie's charge. But their efforts were unrewarded. A corner was granted the homesters, McDiamid placed beautifully, and W. Stewart, after some exciting promises in front of the Orion uprights, headed neatly into the net. The reserves returned with renewed vigour, and several splendid tries narrowly missed taking effect. It was only in accordance with the run of the play that McDonald placed his side two up. A third point came as a matter of course, Mackay being the instrument. From this point Dundee slackened down considerably, and the visitors' incursions to home territory became more frequent. A free kick let them well up, and after some manoeuvring, Bremner had the goal at mercy. He bungled badly, and Dundee soon returned, maintaining the pressure to theend.

Source: Aberdeen Journal, 20th May 1901

Dundee A Teamsheet:  A: Stewart; Bowman, Taylor; A. Halkett, W. Stwart, Gowans, McDiarmid, Steven, Mackay, McDonald, J. Halkett


Orion Teamsheet:  Ritchie; Thomson, Ross; Currie, Willox, Esplin; Grant,Christie, Prophet, Lindsay, Bremner


Referee: Mr. McLeod, Cowlairs

Related Links: