Click here to go back to the AFC Heritage Trust Homepage Aberdeen Football Club Heritage Trust Logo  
AFC - Match Report
match report 1912-13 fixture list
Aberdeen Forwards 4 - 5 Aberdeen Defence
    Trial Match
Kick Off:           
Attendance: 5,000
Venue: Pittodrie Stadium, Aberdeen
There were 5000 spectators at Pittodrie last night when teams from the Aberdeen Football Club opposed each other in the trial match. The teams were a mixture of the first and second elevens, and were so arranged that recognised first team forwards opposed to recognised first team defence. Play throughout was of a strenuous nature, none of the players sparing themselves. The result was a win for the club which included the first team defence and reserve forwards by 5 goals to 4. The reserve team forwards, well supported by the first team defence, played very strongly, and display by far the better football. At times the right wing, H. Murray and Walker, were irresistible, and Main shows some of his old form in the centre, and scored three goals, while Murray snatched the other two for his side. That one. The score stood at 5-0 for the team with the reserve forwards. In the last quarter of an hour, however, the first team forwards found their form and actually scored four goals. In the first half, McConnell was heart, and had to retire, while in the second half Greig sustained a fractured collarbone. After the latter accident, King, who had kept goal behind the best defence, later crossed over, and kept goal for the winning team. In the closing period, The first team forwards played with great dash, but they did not combined nearly so well as the reserves had done earlier in the game.

Source: Aberdeen Daily Journal, 13th August 1912

Teams from the Aberdeen Football Club engaged in a practice game at Pittodrie last night before 5000 spectators, and it was unfortunate that the game should have been marred by serious accidents to two players. Early in the first half john McConnell, a half-back lately secured from Liverpool, but the muscles of his thigh wrenched and had to retire. Later on in the game a worse accident befell Andrew Greig, one of the club's goalkeepers. He threw himself full length data ball, and in so doing sustained a fractured collarbone. The player, who was in great pain, was attended two in the pavilion, and medical assistance was afterwards forthcoming. McConnell's accident, if not so serious, will give much concern to the club management in view of the start of the Scottish League season on Saturday first, when Raith Rovers will supply the opposition.
Aberdeen Forwards Teamsheet: 


Aberdeen Defence Teamsheet:  Maine, Maine, Maine, Murray, Murray



Related Links: