Click here to go back to the AFC Heritage Trust Homepage Aberdeen Football Club Heritage Trust Logo  
AFC - Match Report
match report 1920-21 fixture list
A Team 2 - 1 B Team
    Practice Game
Kick Off:  7:00 PM   Rankine 35, Ritchie 65       Watt 50  
Attendance: 10,000
Venue: Pittodrie Stadium, Aberdeen
There were 10,000 spectators at Pittodrie when the second and final trial match of the Aberdeen Club was played previous to entering upon the competitive programme. With the exception of Yule, who was indisposed, all the players signed by the club were on view. The trial took the form of a match between "A" and "B " teams, and the result was a win for the A's after a hotly contested game by 2 goals to 1.

Throughout the game the players set a warm pace, and it was evident from the start that there was to be no reserving of energy. The right wing was early prominent, and, after a fine cross by Fisher, Grant shot wide from close range. Middleton and Thomson on the "A" right moved very fast, and both defences were well tested. Fisher and Connon executed clever movements for the "B.'s," and Hannah showed up well in the "A's " defence. An adroit pass by McLaughlin enabled Rankine to shoot narrowly over for the "A's," and at the other end Grant shot wide. Grosert was prominent with clever leading-up work for the "A's, " whose right wing was also prominent. The right wing of both teams were repeatedly dangerous, and Hannah on the one side and Forsyth on the other were cheered for clever defensive play. The opening goal came after 35 minutes' play, when Rankine accepted a judicious ground pass from Middleton to slip the ball past Sutherland. Rankine came near to again to scoring after a great run, his shot going narrowly over. Connon, Fisher, and Grant were dangerous near the interval, but there was no further scoring in the period, and the "A" team crossed over leading by the only goal.

Two Goals.

The second half was minutes old when, following upon a corner, Watt headed through the equalising goal from an accurate centre by Grant. Middleton for the "A" team struck the top of the crossbar after a brilliant run, and at the other end Anderson fielded a hot shot by Connon. Subsequently both goals were visited, and the custodians were well tested. After twenty minutes, Ritchie accepted a pass from McLaughlin and, cutting in, scored with an unsaveable shot. Towards the close the "A" team demonstrated their collective superiority, and Middle ton and Thomson, the latter in particular, had several dangerous shots which were just wide or high of the goal. The form of both teams was distinctly promising, and the general opinion amongst the spectators was that with the wealth of talent at their disposal the club directors will have considerable difficulty in selecting the eleven to do duty for the first team in the opening Scottish League match with Dundee Dens Park on Saturday.

Source: Aberdeen Daily Journal, 17th August 1920

A Team Teamsheet:  Anderson; Hannah, Ness; Wright, Milne A. R. Grosert; Middleton, Thomson, Rankine, McLaughlin, Ritchie


B Team Teamsheet:  Sutherland; Hutton, Forsyth; Watt (Richmond), Lees, Robertson; Fisher, Connon, Macdonald, Stephen, Grant


Referee: Peter Craigmyle, Aberdeen

Related Links: