Click here to go back to the AFC Heritage Trust Homepage Aberdeen Football Club Heritage Trust Logo  
AFC - Match Report
match report 1931-32 fixture list
Div 1 (Old) 
Falkirk 3 - 0 Aberdeen
Kick Off:    Hamill (pen), Morgan, Morgan        
Attendance: 5,000
Venue: Brockville Park, Falkirk
DONS UNLUCKY AT FALKIRK. Promise of New Right Wing
Minus such noted players as Yorston, Love, McLaren, and Hill, the Aberdeen team who opposed Falkirk at Falkirk had an unfamiliar appearance, yet they made a valiant fight and were by no means disgraced in defeat. Generally, however, the football was of a scrappy order but there was no denying the keenness of the exchanges, and now and again there were thrills to please the crowd. A first-minute thrust on the Falkirk left almost produced a goal, Gallacher's close range shot just passing outside a post. The Aberdeen had the upper hand, and Falloon and his colleagues in the half-back line kept forcing the play in the direction of the home goal, but the forwards could not respond, and it was seldom that Thomson was in any real difficulty. Once the goalkeeper was badly fouled and injured, but he recovered after attention on the field. With half an hour gone, Falkirk settled to a stronger game, and Smith, the Aberdeen goalkeeper, was given ample opportunity to show his capabilities and did so beyond doubt. A simple infringement by a visiting defender led to Hamill getting first goal for Falkirk from a penalty kick. A few minutes later Morgan added a second from a cross by Low. Immediately afterwards, Falloon was carried to the pavilion on a stretcher, but his injuries proved to be less serious than was feared and he was able to resume after the interval. Falkirk had the better of the second half, and but for poor finishing might have increased their lead by more than the one goal which Morgan scored five minutes before the finish after a brilliant individual run.

Source: The Scotsman, 23rd November 1931

Aberdeen's re-arranged team was decidedly unlucky to lose to Falkirk at Brockville by 3-0.
There was a bit of doubt about the first goal, the result of a penalty.
Cooper was alleged to have handled, and after a strong protest by several Aberdeen players the referee was staunch in his decision.
Hamill, the home captain, took the kick and gave Smith no chance.

Falkirk's Second.

Following this Aberdeen attacked with determination and had the home defence in trouble, but following a surprise attack by Falkirk Morgan put his side further ahead.
There was a big doubt about the legitimacy of this goal.
Stevenson manoeuvred the position and slipped the ball to Morgan, who was obviously off-side but the referee turned down Aberdeen's whole-hearted appeal, and the score was allowed to stand.
Until the interval it was a closely contested game with really nothing between the teams.

Falloon's Injury.

Just before half-time, Falloon was knocked out and appeared to be seriously injured. he was carried off on a stretcher.
When the teams resumed Aberdeen were at full strength, with Falloon having again on duty, he having revived from being stunned.
For a lengthy period there was nothing in the game, the homesters being kept on edge by the thrustfulness of the Aberdeen right.
Warnock showed clever touches, and on one occasion landed the ball on the crossbar.
Later McLean was hurt and had to go off, but he resumed and for a time Aberdeen looked like making up the leeway, Thomson being often in action.

Another for Falkirk.

Against the run of play Falkirk got a third goal. Falloon and Cooper had the clearing of the ball, but Smith ran out to miss, and Morgan sent into an untenanted goal.
This proved to be all the scoring.
On the run of the game Falkirk were decidedly lucky to win by 3-0.
There were doubts about the penalty and the second goal, and over the piece Aberdeen's young team were generally more dangerous in attack.
The homesters were served by Thomson, Scobie, Townsley, Morgan, Stevenson, and Gall.
For Aberdeen the best were Smith, Cooper, Falloon, Warnock, Armstrong, and McLean.

Source: Press & Journal, 23rd November 1931

Falkirk Teamsheet:  Thomson; Scobie, Hamill; Kennedy, Townsley, Hutchison; Low, Gallagher, Morgan, Stevenson, Gall


Aberdeen Teamsheet:  Smith, Cooper, McGill, Fraser, Falloon, Ballantyne, Warnock, Adam, Armstrong, McDermid, McLean.

Unused Subs:


Referee: D. F. Reilly, Port Glasgow

Related Links: