Click here to go back to the AFC Heritage Trust Homepage Aberdeen Football Club Heritage Trust Logo  
AFC - Match Report
match report 1937-38 fixture list
Div 1 (Old) 
Aberdeen 1 - 1 Celtic
Kick Off:  3:00 PM   McKenzie 83.       McGrory 34  
Attendance: 27,000
Venue: Pittodrie Stadium, Aberdeen


Thanks to a goal by McKenzie seven minutes from the end of the match, Aberdeen shared the points with Celtic at Pittodrie on Saturday. A draw was a good result to an interesting game in which the football seldom rose to a high standard.

The best play was seen-in the first half, when Aberdeen had slightly the better of the exchanges. Had the home forwards accepted their chances during this period the Dons would have held the lead at the interval instead of being in arrears.
In the outfield the Aberdeen forwards played with skill and cohesion, but the old fault of weak finishing was once again in evidence. At least three good scoring chances were missed by the Dons before Celtic took the lead.


Lang was responsible for two and Armstrong for the other. In the first instance the centre and the winger went through in fine style, and Lang sent past from good position. He was afforded another opportunity shortly afterwards, when Kennaway left his charge but failed to get his hands to a high ball from George Scott, and he lobbed the ball over.
Armstrong might have found the net when he followed up a Newton clearance and got clean through only to shoot past.
Celtic's goal in thirty-four minutes was a smartly taken affair. After Falloon had blocked a shot by Crum, Murphy gained possession, and raced almost to the touchline before centring the ball. McGrory sized up the situation in a flash, and moved over to the far post to cutely head the ball into the net.
Much of the spirit went out of the play after the interval. Aberdeen were handicapped twenty minutes after the start when Fraser received a leg injury. The right half-back took the outside right position, Strauss going inside and George Scott to right half.


The Dons struggled hard in an effort to gain the equaliser. Another change was made in attack. Armstrong and Strauss changing places. Hope, however, had almost been abandoned when McKenzie got the goal. Harassed by Strauss, Kennaway could only fist out high lob from George Scott, and McKenzie fastened on to send into the net from a crowd of players.
The Aberdeen defence, which included McGill and Newton, the reserve backs, was fairly sound. Johnstone in goal got good deal to do, but handled confidently. McGill was the more reliable back, and so well did he position himself that Murphy's activities were confined almost entirely to the touchline.
Newton wisely went to meet Delaney in the first half, and the result was that the winger was seldom dangerous. After the interval Newton was less successful in checking the Celtic right winger, but he stuck grimly to his job.


Fraser was the best of the Aberdeen half line until he was injured. He forced on play in fine style, and did good work in defence. Thomson on the left was a trifle disappointing, but Falloon was outstanding in a defensive capacity.
Perhaps the most pleasing feature about the play of the attack was the return Strauss to something like his old form. The South African had the beating of Lyon, and time and again he raced past the back and crossed dangerous balls. At inside right and centre forward, too, he was source of worry to the Celtic defence.
Armstrong was too well watched by Miller to be dangerous, but McKenzie got through a power of work despite the close attentions of McDonald.
George Scott gave a smart display in the first half, during which he made good use of the ball. After the interval he was less prominent. Lang on the left did not impress.


It was a mediocre Celtic team. Lyon was not a success at left back, and could not hold the speedy Strauss. Kennaway could hardly be blamed for the goal he lost, and Hogg, at right back, gave a polished display.
Miller was a splendid defensive pivot, and McDonald was a clever and hardworking wing half.
McGrory showed that he still retains much of his old dash and craft, and required watching. Buchan impressed as a strong, forceful inside forward, but with the exception of Murphy, who occasionally took the eye, the others did not impress.

Source: Press & Journal, 27th September 1937

Aberdeen Teamsheet:  Johnstone, McGill, Newton, Fraser, Falloon, Thomson, Strauss, Scott, Armstrong, McKenzie, Lang.

Unused Subs:


Celtic Teamsheet:  Kennaway; Hogg, Lyon; McDonald, Miller, Paterson; Delaney, Buchan, McGrory, Crum, Murphy


Referee: H. Watson, Glasgow

Related Links: