Click here to go back to the AFC Heritage Trust Homepage Aberdeen Football Club Heritage Trust Logo  
AFC - Match Report
match report 1938-39 fixture list
Div 1 (Old) 
Aberdeen 6 - 1 Hibernian
Kick Off:  2:15 PM   Pattillo 9, Pattillo 20, Hamilton 38, Pattillo 45, Pattillo 74, Strauss 86.       Farrell 57  
Attendance: 16,000
Venue: Pittodrie Stadium, Aberdeen
AFTER their display against Hibs at Pittodrie on Saturday it can safely be taken that Aberdeen's revival is built on a solid foundation. They have not lost one of their last five matches, and two have been played away from home. The team is playing with a spirit and determination which augurs well for the Cup-ties.
The Dons were always masters of the situation against Hibs. The Edinburgh team are to be commended for their plucky display, but their lightly-built forward line was never at home on the heavy ground. Modelled on more powerful lines, the Aberdeen players were stronger on the ball and played better as a team.
The conditions were not conducive to good football. The pitch was heavy and treacherous, and passes often got stuck in the mud, while it was not unusual to see a player lose his feet in the act of delivering a shot. The ground was flooded in the forenoon and the water had to be pumped from the pitch.


The Dons were first to adapt themselves to the heavy conditions and went ahead in nine minutes. This goal did not show the Hibs defence in a very good light. Cowie swung a free kick across the goalmouth and Pattillo brought the ball under control before beating Kerr. Twenty minutes after the start came the second home goal. A tremendous throw-in by Dunlop was nodded on by Hamilton, and Pattillo applied the finishing touch with his head.
The centre had the ball in the net again a minute later, but was adjudged offside, and in the next Hibs raid the visitors were awarded a penalty when Nicholson fouled Nutley. Prior took the kick, but Johnstone brought off a splendid save.
In the closing ten minutes of the period the Dons rattled on two more goals. Warnock carried the ball up the right before centring for Hamilton to head a grand goal, and just on the whistle Pattillo completed his hat-trick when he ran in to net after Kerr had knocked down a header from Strauss.


Hibs staged something of revival in the second half and they were well worth the goal they got after twelve minutes play. Mclntyre broke clear on the right. Johnstone stopped his shot, but before he could complete the clearance Farrell rushed in to send into the net.
Pattillo got a somewhat "soft" goal sixteen minutes from the end. He ran through on his own and when he shot from the edge of the penalty area Kerr stopped the ball, but it slithered out of his grasp and into the net.
The sixth goal came in the closing minutes, Strauss sending home during a terrific scrimmage in the Hibs goalmouth.
Aberdeen's defence played well. Johnstone's penalty save was the bright spot of a sound display. Cowie, Nicholson and Adey comprised a formidable defensive trio. The right back showed intelligent anticipation, and instead of booting the ball away anyhow he often got rid of it to advantage. Adey was less polished than his partner, but played well.
Nicholson took charge of affairs down the middle, and made no mistakes. He had by no means an easy task against the nippy and elusive Milne. The best of the Aberdeen half-backs, however, was Thomson. The left half played strong, forcing football, and it was seldom indeed that he failed to get the ball in the tackle. Dunlop was not so prominent, although he played his part.


Warnock and Hamilton were the pick of the forwards. The right winger had the beating of Prior and his crosses were always dangerous. He and Hamilton were an excellent combination. The inside man was clever at carrying the ball through and was quick to make an opening.
Pattillo, the Dons reserve centre, will remember this game with pride. He had four goals. He is a bustling type of forward, and although he may be lacking in craft he can unsettle the opposing defence. The former Aberdeen junior will improve with experience.
There was no more tireless worker afield than Biggs, the home inside left. Time and again he carried play from defence to attack. Unfortunately his passes had an unhappy knack of going astray on the heavy ground. Strauss was the weak link of the home van. The South African seems to have lost most of his "fire."
Hibs were without three of their regular defenders - Logan, right back; Miller, centre half, and Rice, left half. Under the circumstances it was not surprising that their defence did not shine.
Milne was the "live wire" of the attack. The centre was quick off his mark, and showed clever ball control. With better support he might have got goals. Mclntyre and Farrell on the right were responsible for most of the attacking movements.

Source: Press & Journal, 9th January 1939

Aberdeen Teamsheet:  Johnstone, Cowie, Adey, Dunlop, Nicholson, Thomson, Warnock, Hamilton, Pattillo, Biggs, Strauss.

Unused Subs:


Hibernian Teamsheet:  Kerr; Devlin, Prior; Fraser, Scott, Birse; McIntyre, Farrell, Milne, Kean, Nutley


Referee: J. M. Martin, Fife

Related Links: