Click here to go back to the AFC Heritage Trust Homepage Aberdeen Football Club Heritage Trust Logo  
AFC - Match Report
match report 1946-47 fixture list
Div 1 (Old) 
Aberdeen 1 - 0 Rangers
Kick Off:  6:20 PM   Taylor 40.        
Attendance: 35,000
Venue: Pittodrie Stadium, Aberdeen
Aberdeen Now Have Clear Lead in League

GEORGE TAYLOR the "giant killer." It was the left half who scored the goal that won Aberdeen the League Cup last season. He was the hero last night again at Pittodrie against Rangers.
Five minutes from the interval he fastened on to the ball following a throw-in by the Light Blues. Nineteen yards out, he drove hard for goal. The ball whizzed through a crowd of players and entered the net near the post. Internationalist keeper Bobby Brown never had a chance.

This goal has established the Dons at the top of the Scottish League table. Morton dropped a point at Dumfries, and Aberdeen are on their own. The Dons deserved the points. They fought hard from first to final whistle, and had the left wing shown more drive at close quarters they would have won more decisively.
There was not a great deal between the teams in the first half, and a goal in the Dons' favour was a true reflex of the play. But after the interval Aberdeen definitely held the whip hand.
Only the solidarity of the Rangers' defence - and how those half-backs fought - prevented Brown from having to pick the ball out the net in this period.
Rangers' goal had two outstanding escapes in this half. First when Harris burst through, survived a challenge from the ever-attentive Young, and smashed a shot past Brown's right-hand post. Williams should have scored on the second occasion. Hamilton made ground, but was held up by Symon. He whipped the ball out to the left, and the South African blazed it over.
Without their stars, Thornton and Waddell, the Rangers attack had lost its lustre. They might have snatched the equaliser in one of their raids, but it would have been againsy the run of play.
The fact that Johnstone in the Aberdeen goal had a comparatively easy time speaks for itself. Brown, the champions' last line of defence, couldn't make the same claim.
Twice Rangers made team switches in the second half. On the resumption Gillick had taken over the leadership, with Watkins at inside right and Arnison on the wing, Later Gray went to outside right, Watkins to right half and Cox to right back.
The Dons' defence as a whole deserved credit for a steady and resolute display. with chief honours going to McKenna and Waddell. Taylor was a grand forcing half-back.

McCall Dashing

Williams and Baird on the left played too closely. It would have paid better had thev swung the ball about. Harris, closely shadowed by Young, contrived to keep the line moving, while on the few occasions he eluded the wily Scott Symon, Hamilton threatened danger. McCall on the right Was a dashing winger and kept Shaw busy.

Source: Press & Journal, 5th September 1946

ROYAL SPECTATOR AMONG the 35,000 spectators at the Aberdeen-Rangers game last night was The Kabaka of Buganda, an undergraduate at Cambridge. He was accompanied by Bailie Raffan.
Aberdeen Teamsheet:  Johnstone, Cowie, McKenna, Dunlop, Waddell, Taylor, McCall, Hamilton, Harris, Baird, Williams.

Unused Subs:


Rangers Teamsheet:  Brown; Gray, Shaw; Cox, Young, Symon; Watkins, Gillick, Arnison, Duncanson, Caskie


Referee: D. Alexander, Dundee

Related Links: