Click here to go back to the AFC Heritage Trust Homepage Aberdeen Football Club Heritage Trust Logo  
AFC - Match Report
match report 1948-49 fixture list
League Cup Group D 
Morton 3 - 1 Aberdeen
Kick Off:    Mochan 39, Mochan 47, Liddell 53       Harris 16.  
Attendance: 15,000
Venue: Cappielow Park, Greenock
New Players at Pittodrie the Only Remedy. Wing Half-backs Were Big Weakness at Greenock
Six weeks ago Aberdeen started the League Cup qualifying series with a load of team problems and the realisation that they were already in a struggling position in the Scottish League. On Saturday at Greenock a 3-1 defeat by Morton ended the Dons' interest in the League Cup and left them to renew the quest for vital league points still beset by the same sort of problems.
The form of this Aberdeen team remains a mystery. For thirty-five minutes on Saturday they were easily the better side. A bad blunder by Johnstone gave Morton a soft equaliser, and from that moment the initiative passed to the home team.
The present policy of ringing the changes week after week has proved far from successful, and it is becoming more and more obvious that the only method of remedying the weaknesses in the Pittodrie side is to go out for new players. It is difficult to get to the root of the trouble, but weakness at wing half-back was largely responsible for the slump at Greenock. Stenhouse always appeared to be struggling, and Waddell was often left without an answer to the scheming of Orr.

Thomson the Bulwark

In the circumstances it was not surprising that the Aberdeen backs looked like being over-run in the second half. Massie had his hands full with Liddell, a forceful winger, but he didn't shirk the issue.
When Morton took command Ken Thomson was the Dons' defensive bulwark. He was not flurried by Mochan's harassing tactics, and frequently took the eye with clever interceptions. The Dons' attack promised to reap a rich harvest in the early stages, but they gradually faded from the scene as an offensive unit. There was more threat on the left than on the right, and over the ninety minutes Harris was the most consistent performer, with Kelly disappointing in the centre.
Before the match it looked as if Morton's prospects had been dimmed by the inclusion of their reserve half-backs. Batten and Gibson, but they played their part nobly, and along with Orr and Mochan were the stars of the energetic home team.

Brilliant Save

Cowan, Morton's international goalkeeper, got an early chance to prove that he is in the top flight when Harris flicked the ball from Botha's cross towards the far corner of the net thirty seconds from the start. Cowan threw himself across to make a brilliant save.
He didn't have the same success in the sixteenth minute, when Pearson rounded Mitchell and whipped the ball across for Harris to head fiercely home. The Dons were the dictators until the thirty-ninth minute, when Johnstone unaccountably failed to get down to a harmless-looking shot from Mochan and the ball rolled over the line and no more.
Two minutes after the interval Mochan struck again. He took a pass from McGarrity and ran on to beat Johnstone, while Aberdeen defenders halted in expectation of an offside decision. The centre also played a part in the third goal in eighteen minutes. He and Liddell cut open the defence, and at the right moment Mochan parted to the speedy winger who was through to beat Johnstone with a fast grounder.

Source: Press & Journal, 18th October 1948

Morton Teamsheet:  Cowan, Mitchell, Whigham, Campbell, Batton, Gibson, McKillop, Orr, Mochan, McGarrity, Liddell


Aberdeen Teamsheet:  Johnstone, Massie, McKenna, Stenhouse, Thomson, Waddell, Botha, Hamilton, Kelly, Harris, Pearson.

Unused Subs:


Referee: J. A. Kerr

Related Links: