Click here to go back to the AFC Heritage Trust Homepage Aberdeen Football Club Heritage Trust Logo  
AFC - Match Report
match report 1949-50 fixture list
Div 1 (Old) 
Stirling Albion 0 - 1 Aberdeen
Kick Off:          Hamilton 35.  
Attendance: 15,000
Venue: Annfield Stadium, Stirling
Hearts Stood Still for 60 Seconds
We described Stirling Albion as a mystery team." Well we've seen them play and. the Dons have defeated them and they're still very much a "mystery side" ! Their centre-half is quite a good player and Martin on his game may be a star, but the others are just ordinary players. Yet as a team they're very, very difficult to overcome. Had a goal been granted instead of that penalty, or if they had scored from the penalty, then the Dons would have found their task a big one indeed.
A great deal has been made of the penalty incident, but it should be remembered that the Dons made strong claims, prior to that affair, that a George Hamilton shot had crossed the line. The Aberdeen players had actually turned away and were preparing to congratulate the centre when the home goalie scooped out the ball (which appeared to have travelled a yard over the line).

The enthusiasm at Stirling is terrific and has to be seen and heard to be believed. That the Dons refused to be put off their game by the yelling and demonstrating of such a crowd augurs well for the future.
Annfiield Park may not be a finished stadium, but the Stirling club and supporters have worked wonders with very limited resources, and all concerned are to be congratulated on a fine job of work.
The Dons had fully two-thirds of the play and were clearl superior in foot¬ball skill, but they should have scored more than once. That apart, their display was very satisfactory.

Source: Match Programme, 26th November 1949

Hamilton Goal Takes Dons Through

JOY, fear, suspense and terrific excitement were crowded into the seventy-sixth minute of the Stirling Albion-Aberdeen match at Annfield Park on Saturday.

It was sixty seconds of high-powered thrills for the twenty-two players and the 15,000 spectators.
For the Dons it could have meant the loss of a point at least; for the Albion it should have meant the saving of their undefeated home League record.
Aberdeen were leading 1-0. The Stirling team were making a desperate bid to avoid defeat.
A shot by centre forward Jones was on its way into the net when Chris Anderson stopped the ball with his arm. It was a penalty - even the Aberdeen player admits the fact.
As the referee's whistle shrilled for the spot kick Keith, the home inside right, belted the ball into the net. Joy turned to apprehension and apprehension to dismay, when Whiteford, the Stirling centre half, sent the penalty kick against the post.
That was the type of game it was - full of action and heartfluttering incidents. Although it almost resulted in a "photo-finish," the points went to the better football team.
The result should have been settled long before the penalty thrill. Aberdeen had the scoring chances.
In the outfield the Pittodrie attackers looked the part. They demonstrated that in the arts and crafts of the game they were superior to their opponents. They failed to produce the final proof in the penalty area.
Narrow though the margin of victory was, it was a sound performance. The honours of the day went to the men behind the forwards.
Seldom, if ever, this season has the Aberdeen defence presented a more solid front. There was no weak link. The stars that twinkled most brightly were Willie Waddell at centre half and Tony Harris at left half. They earned any bouquets that were going.

Paying His Way

Hamilton was the most consistent forward, and he was opposed to Whiteford, Stirling's best defender. He is paying his way as leader of the Aberdeen front line.
Frank Watson, who replaced Curran in the Dons' goal, certainly deserves a creditable mention. It was the former Peebles Rovers youngster's first appearance in the league side for almost a year, and he gave a splendid display.
Baird and Hather were a trifle disappointing on the Pittodrie left wing, and both missed easy scoring chances in the second half. Pearson had a poor first half, but perked up considerably after the interval. Yorston was inclined to put too much work on the ball.
The goal that shattered the Albion's home record came after thirty-five minutes' play. It was a fine individual flash on the part of Hamilton. The Dons' centre, Whiteford and Gerhard, the 'keeper, all went in pursuit of the hefty clearance by Emery.

Against Post

Hamilton' beat Whiteford, but Gerhard gained possession. The goalkeeper failed to hold it, and with all three players lying on the ground the Dons' leader swung his leg to send into the net.
Hamilton thought he had scored again in the second half. When Hather beat Muir and Whiteford and sent the ball across, the centre dashed forward to shoot for goal. Gerhard twisted himself to scoop the ball against the post.
Hamilton is firmly of the opinion that the ball was over the line before Gerhard reached it to push it against the woodwork. His view is corroborated by Hather. Hamilton, who had turned to receive the congratulations of his team-mates, certainly looked shaken when the referee made no sign.
The oustanding players in the hard-running and enthusiastic Albion team were Whiteford and Martin at inside left.

Source: Press & Journal, 21st November 1949

Stirling Albion Teamsheet:  Gerhard, Muir, McKeown, Bain, Whiteford, Wilson, Dick, Keith, Jones, Martin, Szpula


Aberdeen Teamsheet:  Watson, Emery, McKenna, Anderson, Waddell, Harris, Pearson, Yorston, Hamilton, Baird, Hather.

Unused Subs:


Referee: J. Oates, Kirkcaldy

Related Links: