Click here to go back to the AFC Heritage Trust Homepage Aberdeen Football Club Heritage Trust Logo  
AFC - Match Report
match report 1949-50 fixture list
Div 1 (Old) 
Rangers 2 - 2 Aberdeen
Kick Off:    Young 34 (pen), Young 45 (pen)       Hamilton 5, Yorston 74.  
Attendance: 50,000
Venue: Ibrox Stadium, Glasgow
To hold the mighty Rangers to a draw at Ibrox is a feat for any club. To give the Ibrox men a gift of two penalty goals, throw away one similar chance from their powerful opponents and come away with a well-merited point is an achievement of which the Dons should rightly feel proud. They certainly delighted their supporters!
The size of the crowd - over fifty thousand at the match! - clearly indicated that the Dons have returned to favour with the Glasgow public.
Near the end of the game there was an extraordinary "rammy" round the Rangers goal. The ball seemed to hover near Brown's charge for ages. It struck the keeper, it struck the post, it struck one defender after another, time and again "goal" was on the lips of Dons supporters, but the wretched ball refused to enter the net! In the end the ball actually appeared to stick on the goal-line before it was cleared by a desperate defence.

In the first half a ball crossed by Pearson was handled by a Rangers defender standing inside the "box." There was a loud appeal for a penalty from the Dons but the referee waved play on. The culprit left the Aberdeen players in no doubt, for he laughingly said to them, "That was the finest save I ever made."
McCulloch, the Rangers winger, showed a terrific turn of speed and proved rather troublesome in the first half, but his play tapered off after the interval. For the last twenty minutes of the game it was all Aberdeen, and after the game the Rangers officials admitted they were a shade lucky.

Source: Aberdeen FC Programme, 11th February 1950

Untiring Hamilton the Man of the Match

FIFTY thousand Rangers supporters can be wrong. The Dons should have beaten the champions at Ibrox Park on Saturday.

The armour-piercing Pittodrie forwards probed and created openings in the much-publicised Rangers defensive iron curtain.
Even if they only drew 2-2 it was "Aberdeen's match." They scored first, lost two penalty goals, themselves missed a spot kick and then went on to equalise. It was the Light Blues who were fighting to retain a point in the closing stages.
The Dons' forwards gave one of their best displays of the season. Admittedly there was a harassed look about the Pittodrie defence in the first half, but throughout the forwards played more intelligent football and threatened more danger than the Rangers quintet.
Aberdeen had three "old heads" and experienced craftsmen in Hamilton, Baird and Pearson. This trio, by their clever positional switches and telepathic ability to run into position, set the Ibrox defence a problem they never succeeded in solving.
I question if Hamilton has ever put more into a game. Challenged by Woodburn, Scotland's centre half, he refused to admit defeat. His smart distribution and untiring efforts made him the man of the match.
Young looked every inch Scotland's right back in the first half of this game, but when Pearson turned on his own particular brand of football confection after the interval Young did not like the flavour.
Baird was back to something like his best form. He was a grand forager, and never have I seen Pearson and him work in closer harmony.
Yorston, the youngster of the line, was quietly effective and Stenhouse at outside right brightened up after an unexciting first half.

Nerves,/p> The Aberdeen defence had an attack of nerves in the first half. It was then that the impoverished state of the Rangers attack was limelighted.
The most potent force in the Ibrox front line was McCulloch on the right wing. McKenna was working to capacity during the ninety minutes to hold his own with this fleet-footed raider. It was in the second half that Emery got really cracking.
Williamson is an awkward type of centre forward to stop, but McKenzie was entitled to cry quits at the end of the game. After a moderate first half Harris struck his best form. Anderson, if less prominent in attack, was relentless the tackle.
The Dons rocked the Ibrox faithful in five minutes. Hamilton back-headed a long throw from Anderson. Baird and Woodburn got mixed up going for the ball and, quick a flash, Hamilton bounded in to sweep it into the net.
It was thirty-four minutes before Rangers drew level. With McKenna and McKenzie in close attendance Williamson went sprawling during a Rangers attack. Both Aberdeen defenders after the game denied that they had interfered with the centre, but the referee awarded a penalty and Young did the rest.
There was no question about Rangers' second spot-kick, just on the half-time whistle. When Williamson bent low to head a lob from McColl, Harris must have thrust his hand out involuntarily. There was no other explanation for his handling of the ball. Young again made the most of his opportunity.

In Command

Aberdeen were in command for most of the second half, but looked as if they had lost their chance when they failed to take advantage of a penalty award in seventeen minutes.
This time Woodburn was the player who preferred his hands to his feet. Emery from the spot sent the ball straight to Brown.
The Dons were desperate for the equaliser and their efforts were rewarded in twenty-nine minutes. McKenna took the ball from McCulloch in the tackle and sent it into the middle. Yorston hared after it and jabbed it towards the far corner. Brown dived too late and the ball passed under his body into the net.
After this the Rangers goal had several miraculous escapes.
Whether it be Dundee or Hearts who win at Dens Park this afternoon, the Dons are entitled to await their Pittodrie visitors this week with confidence.

Source: Press & Journal, 6th Februar 1950

Rangers Teamsheet:  Brown, Young, Shaw, McColl, Woodburn, Cox, McCulloch, Findlay, Williamson, Johnston, Paton


Aberdeen Teamsheet:  Watson, Emery, McKenna, Anderson, McKenzie, Harris, Stenhouse, Yorston, Hamilton, Baird, Pearson.

Unused Subs:


Referee: W. Davidson

Related Links: