Click here to go back to the AFC Heritage Trust Homepage Aberdeen Football Club Heritage Trust Logo  
AFC - Match Report
match report 1949-50 fixture list
Div 1 (Old) 
Aberdeen 6 - 2 Stirling Albion
Kick Off:  3:00 PM   Hather 12, Emery 16 (Pen), Yorston 37, Hather 40, Hamilton 65, Baird 74.       Laird 78, Henderson 79  
Attendance: 8,000
Venue: Pittodrie Stadium, Aberdeen
Most of Dons' First Team Are Re-signed
Transfer List May Contain Surprises

DAVID HALLIDAY, the Aberdeen manager, has been busy during the past week making his preparations for next season. The fact that the Scottish Players' Union has withdrawn the instruction to members not to re-sign should result in many of the clubs' plans coming off the secret list.
I expect Aberdeen F.C. to announce their list of players for next season within a day or two. I doubt the Players' Union instruction carried much weight with the Pittodrie players, who are among the best paid in Britain.
While Mr Halliday's list is not completed, I understand most the recognised first-team men have been re-signed. The list of "frees" and players for transfer may contain one or two surprises. If this was a sample of the Albion's normal form it is little wonder that they have not been able to make the grade in "A" Division. There were times when their forwards, especially Martin and Laird, were sprightly enough, but in defence there was a complete lack of understanding.
At least four of Aberdeen's goals were due to defensive blunders. Bain, stuffy right half back, was the only Albion defender to take any credit from the game.

Opposition Poor

Criticism of a team which wins as easily as Aberdeen did is perhaps unwarranted, but the Pittodrie players would be the first to admit that the opposition was perhaps the weakest they have encountered all season.
After building up 6-0 lead, the Dons slackened off, and in the last twenty minutes much more was seen of the Stirling attack. During this spell the home defence was far from fool-proof.
Martin again had a number pood saves, but there were occasions when his lack of experience forced him into mistakes. Bruce, who was having his first game back for the Dons, was not too sure of his kicking under pressure.
Hamilton and Hather were the liveliest members of the home attack, whose task was made easy by the indecision and poor marking of the Stirling defenders. The centre was too alert for Marshall, and Hather's speed caught the opposition napping.
When Aberdeen took the lead in twelve minutes the 'keeper appeared to have Hather's shot covered when Rodgers stepped in and deflected the ball into the net. Four minutes later came another gift in the shape of a penalty, awarded when Marshall quite unnecessarily handled the ball. Emery shot home.

Number Three,/p> Eight minutes from half-time Yorston put his name on the score sheet after Harris had done the leading-up work, and three minutes later the unhappy Rodgers blundered again. This time It was a short pass back, and Hather nipped in to score.
There was no apparent improvement in Albion's defensive tactics after halftime, but it took the Dons twenty minutes to add to their total.
Another short pass to the 'keeper was responsible, and this time Hamilton was the opportunist.
Twentv-nine minutes had gone when the goalkeeper punched out a long ball from Bruce. The ball landed conveniently at Baird's feet, and from twenty-five yards the inside left sent it flashing into the net.
Laird, who had been a persistent trier for Stirling, got his reward in thirty-three minutes. Then it was Anderson's turn to make a defensive blunder. He failed to prevent Keith turning the ball back from the bye-line, and Henderson was given a simple chance to score.

Source: Press & Journal, 24th April 1950

Aberdeen Teamsheet:  Martin, Bruce, Emery, Anderson, McKenzie, Harris, Rice, Yorston, Hamilton, Baird, Hather.

Unused Subs:


Stirling Albion Teamsheet:  Newman, Muir, Rodgers, Bain, Marxhall, Guy, Millar, Martin, Laird, Keith, Henderson


Referee: J. Jackson

Related Links: