Click here to go back to the AFC Heritage Trust Homepage Aberdeen Football Club Heritage Trust Logo  
AFC - Match Report
match report 1972-73 fixture list
Div 1 (Old) 
Aberdeen 5 - 1 Airdrie
Kick Off:  3:00 PM   Jarvie 22, Jarvie 30, Jarvie 62, Robb 79, Murray 87.       McKinley 13  
Attendance: 6,500
Venue: Pittodrie Stadium, Aberdeen
Hungarian Rhapsody Enraptures Dons' fans
In their previous eight games, Aberdeen had scored only three goals. In this game the visitors certainly missed their former star, Drew Jarvie, recently signed by the Pittodrie club, as he netted a hat-trick. Zoltan Varga continued to be the conductor who orchestrated the movements and pulled the strings.

Only 6,500 spectators witnessed an undistinguished start with both teams passing back to the 'keepers at the first sign of trouble. Zoltan Varga initiated a couple of promising moves but Dave Robb and Arthur Graham failed to capitalise on them. Although Airdrie were being forced back, they were giving little away. Next, Billy Williamson almost scored from a Varga pass.
In 13 minutes Airdrie took a shock lead when McKinlay scored easily following a defensive error. Aberdeen immediately responded by applying intense pressure with Eddie Thomson upfield with his forwards. In 22 minutes it was no surprise when the Dons equalised. A well-placed corner kick by Joe Smith was neatly headed home by Drew Jarvie. Airdrie did not lie back and Caldwell twice began promising attacks. At this stage the Aberdeen defence was looking shaky under pressure and Bobby Clark had to save from Whiteford and Jonquin. Another goal arrived on the half-hour mark. A Jim Hermiston cross found Graham on the right. He cut in and his shot rebounded off the crossbar for Jarvie to score easily. Once again the Dons began to call the tune with Steve Murray, Jarvie and Varga almost scoring.


Joe Smith had to clear twice as Airdrie pressed and then McKinlay had an effective tackle on Jarvie as he was about to score. Williamson then blundered but Airdrie failed to take advantage. There was not enough action from the forwards to please the home fans but Varga caused the 'keeper some concern with one of his swerving "specials". Airdrie still tried to come forward and it was difficult to believe that they were in relegation trouble. Clark was having quite a busy afternoon. In 62 minutes a third goal for Jarvie proved to be decisive. He broke away on his own, cleverly beat Fraser and sent the ball past McKenzie. Airdrie refused to surrender and Jonquin and Caldwell both had efforts blocked.
Hermiston appeared to be fouled but no penalty was awarded. Then Varga and Williamson both almost netted. In 75 minutes Alex Willoughby replaced the limping Graham. Aberdeen were now playing "possession" football which wasn't pleasing the supporters.
Robb scored in 79 minutes when he netted after his initial effort rebounded off the defensive wall and three minutes from the end Murray scored with a fast rising shot from a Jarvie pass. This win kept Aberdeen in fourth place, behind Rangers, Celtic and Hibs.

Source: Match Programme, 2nd September 1992

Aberdeen Teamsheet:  Clark, Williamson, Hermiston, Thomson, Young, Smith, Murray, Robb, Jarvie, Varga, Graham (Willoughby 75).

Unused Subs:


Airdrie Teamsheet:  McKenzie, Jonquin, Caldwell, Fraser, McKinley, Whiteford, Wilson, McRoberts, Busby, Walker, Cowan

Bookings:  Busby 35

Referee: R. Greenlees, Lochgelly

Related Links: