Click here to go back to the AFC Heritage Trust Homepage Aberdeen Football Club Heritage Trust Logo  
AFC - Match Report
match report 1977-78 fixture list
Premier Division 
Aberdeen 2 - 1 Partick Thistle
Kick Off:  3:00 PM   Harper 22 (Pen), Harper 49.       Houston 7  
Attendance: 11,900
Venue: Pittodrie Stadium, Aberdeen
Houston drills once -
This was a game that Aberdeen dominated for long spells and they should have scored more than 2 goals. However the Aberdeen fans in the 12,000 crowd were happy enough as the victory kept the Dons at the top of the league.

Aberdeen kicked off into a strong wind and seemed to be strangely hesitant in the opening minutes. They suffered in 7 minutes when ex-Don John Craig provided the cross for Houston to drill the ball into the net. This setback spurred the Dons into action and out of their lethargy. Ian Fleming and Duncan Davidson both came close to equalising. The fans were responding to the Dons' pressure and cheered Joe Harper when he had a great header from a John McMaster pass. The next exciting incident came when Rough had a breath-taking save from a powerful shot by Jim Shirra. The Dons had certainly got over their dithering start and the crowd were right behind them. The Dons drew level in 32 minutes via the penalty spot. Fleming was pushed and Harper slipped the ball to Rough's left side as the keeper dived to his right. The wee man was having a good game, causing plenty of trouble to the Jags' defence. He sent Stuart Kennedy down the right wing and his dangerous cross went for an unproductive corner.

Bobby Clark was in action immediately to stop a hook shot from Somner but in 49 minutes the irrepressible Harper struck oil again. A long clearance from Clark bounced awkwardly for two Thistle defenders. Harper controlled the ball and sent a flashing shot past Rough from 8 yards. More good work by Joe and McMaster set up Davidson but he drove the ball just wide. The Dons were now well on top and should have been adding to their total. Clark's wind-assisted clearances were causing havoc in the Thistle rearguard and Fleming's header missed by inches. McQuade replaced Melrose as Bertie Auld tried to change the pattern of the game.
A first-time McMaster shot from a clever Harper cross was blocked by Rough's legs. The Dons were now pouring everything into attack in an attempt to make the points secure. Harper and McMaster were pummelling the Jags' defence incessantly and, with luck, the home team could have been 4 or 5 goals in the lead. In a breakaway McQuade shot over the bar as Partick looked desperately for an equaliser but Aberdeen finished strongly with Drew Jarvie and Harper going close to scoring. For all their dominance, and the brilliance of Harper in particular, they could only scrape through by the odd goal.

Source: Match Programme, 19th September 1992

Aberdeen Teamsheet:  Clark, Kennedy, McLelland, Shirra, Garner, Miller, Davidson, Jarvie, Harper, Fleming, McMaster.

Unused Subs: Robb, Grant.

Bookings:  Shirra (47).

Partick Thistle Teamsheet:  Rough, Mackie, Whittaker, Gibson, Marr, Campbell, Houston, Melrose (McQuade 63), Love, Somner, Craig

Bookings:  Marr 53

Referee: J. R. P. Gordon, Newport on Tay

Related Links: