Click here to go back to the AFC Heritage Trust Homepage Aberdeen Football Club Heritage Trust Logo  
AFC - Match Report
match report 1977-78 fixture list
Premier Division 
Aberdeen 2 - 1 Celtic
Kick Off:  3:00 PM   Sullivan 31, Sullivan 71.       McDonald 75  
Attendance: 24,600
Venue: Pittodrie Stadium, Aberdeen
24,600 supporters packed the stadium, which started to fill early and excitement was high as kick-off time approached. Duncan Davidson was in for the injured Joe Harper while Celtic had George McLuskey leading their attack.

The match started in dramatic fashion with Ian Gibson "scoring" in 3 minutes but the referee had spotted an infringement. A clever move involving Dom Sullivan, Gibson and Drew Jarvie sent Duncan Davidson away. He hurdled one challenge and then shook off Lynch but Latchford scrambled the ball away for a corner, from which Dave Robb blasted the ball wide. Celtic responded and Willie Garner managed to block McCluskey's shot, after which Bobby Clark tipped a McAdam header over the bar. Aberdeen's football in midfield was excellent, with John McMaster involved in most of the constructive work. He combined with Gibson and Robb to give Davidson a shooting chance but Filippi had a timely tackle.
The best chance so far fell to McAdam who fired the ball high from eight yards. He followed this with a powerful header from a corner but Clark had an acro¬batic save low down. Play was now raging from end to end and Latchford did well to hold a Gibson header. A thrilling goal by Sullivan in 31 minutes broke the deadlock. He sprinted after a long through ball from Garner and, as Latchford ran towards him, he poked the ball through the keeper's legs, jinked round him and sidefooted the ball into the net - a memorable goal.
Celtic launched several attacks in their attempt to equalise and they came close in the 40th minute. Glavin had a strong shot diverted by Clark and, from the corner kick, Clark stopped Wilson's shot - with his face!

Aberdeen resumed playing the better football, particularly in the middle of the park. Davidson crossed hard from the left, the ball slipped through the keeper's fingers, but there was not a Don handy to net. Celtic also looked dangerous when they surged forward and Clark did well to save from McCluskey at the foot of the post. The Celtic fans were shouting for the introduction of Burns and they got their wish when he came on for Wilson.
Aitken blasted the ball over the bar as it became obvious that Aberdeen had relaxed their grip in midfield. Yet they still caused danger in their breakaways and Davidson was stopped by a Munro body check. Celtic were pushing so many players forward that there was always the danger that they would get caught at the back. They suffered in 71 minutes when the Dons went two goals up. Davidson's speed off the mark, from a McMaster pass, enabled him to cross hard and low for Sullivan to slide the ball into the net for his second goal. Four minutes later Celtic retaliated when Burns hit the post and McDonald scored from the rebound.
An exciting game ended with Willie Miller clearing a McAdam effort off the line in a goalmouth scramble. The Dons probably deserved their victory but it had been a close struggle.

Source: Match Programme, 10th September 1995,/b>

Aberdeen Teamsheet:  Clark, Kennedy, McLelland, McMaster, Garner, Miller, Sullivan, Davidson, Gibson, Jarvie, Robb.

Unused Subs: Strachan, Fleming.


Celtic Teamsheet:  Latchford, Filippi, Lynch, Aitken, McDonald, Munro, Glavin, Edvaldsson, McCluskey, McAdam, Wilson (Burns)


Referee: W. J. Mullen, Dalkeith

Related Links: