Click here to go back to the AFC Heritage Trust Homepage Aberdeen Football Club Heritage Trust Logo  
AFC - Match Report
match report 1977-78 fixture list
Premier Division 
Aberdeen 5 - 0 Motherwell
Kick Off:  3:00 PM   Jarvie 8, Harper 13 (Pen), Jarvie 16, Davidson 32, Davidson 55.        
Attendance: 16,280
Venue: Pittodrie Stadium, Aberdeen
This was Aberdeen's biggest win of the season and kept the Dons neck and neck with Rangers in the hunt for the league and cup double. The Pittodrie side gave a devastating performance in front of 16,000 spectators, especially in the first half when they scored four times.

Joe Harper and Ian Fleming formed the twin spearhead and the four midfielders all looked for the chance to penetrate the visitors' defence. Spectacular, attacking football was the order of the day as the eager Dons swarmed round the Motherwell goal.
Drew Jarvie was obviously "in the mood" and he opened the scoring in 8 minutes with a great goal. Good ball control by Harper enabled Willie Miller to cross the ball. Jarvie jinked past Watson and then side-stepped the Motherwell keeper to stroke the ball into the net. It was the start the home team wanted and Dom Sullivan almost scored two minutes later but his effort was scrambled away for a corner. The crowd only had to wait till the 13th minute for the second goal. McLaren handled in the heat of all the pressure and Harper put the penalty kick in the keeper's left-hand corner. The excitement continued unabated with another goal a minute later. Several Dons combined to set up Jarvie and he added lustre to the move by blasting the ball past the help¬less Rennie from 25 yards. The Motherwell keeper must have wondered what had hit him as he performed heroically to prevent a rugby score. He had a spectacular save from Duncan Davidson as the Dons eagerly pursued goal number 4. The fans roared their acclamation in 32 minutes when Stuart Kennedy"s deflected cross found Davidson at the near post and he crashed home the ball. It had been a most impressive first half.

McVie replaced Clinging as Motherwell resumed, striving to make a game of it but it seemed a lost cause. In 55 minutes the rout continued when Harper crossed for Jarvie to head it on and the unmarked Davidson headed the ball beyond Rennie's reach. He almost notched his hat-trick a minute later when he was sent clean through but Rennie dived bravely at his feet. A flash of Pettigrew nearly paid dividends in a Motherwell breakaway but Bobby Clark had a good save from the 15 yard shot. He had another fine save immediately afterwards from a Davidson effort. Miller then beat the offside trap but shot past with only Rennie to beat. The keeper's legs saved Motherwell as he blocked a Davidson shot, again frustrating him and depriving him of his hat-trick. Although it was mainly one-way traffic with just the occasional breakaway by the visitors, a lot of the sparkle had gone from the game thanks to the Dons scoring spree in the first 45 minutes. In the lad minute Fleming hit the post with a curling, shot. The home team deserved the ovation tthey received at the end.

Source: Match Programme, 11th November 1992

Aberdeen Teamsheet:  Clark, Kennedy, Ritchie, McMaster, Garner, Miller, Sullivan, Fleming, Harper, Jarvie, Davidson.

Unused Subs: Archibald, McLelland.


Motherwell Teamsheet:  Rennie, Watson, Wark, Millar, McLaren, Stevens, Marinello (Kennedy 87), Pettigrew, Clinging (McVie 46), Davidson, Mungall


Referee: D. F. T. Syme, Rutherglen

Related Links: