Click here to go back to the AFC Heritage Trust Homepage Aberdeen Football Club Heritage Trust Logo  
AFC - Match Report
match report 1978-79 fixture list
Premier Division 
Aberdeen 4 - 1 Hibernian
Kick Off:  3:00 PM   Fleming 19, Sullivan 36, Harper 69, Harper 80.       Hutchinson 85  
Attendance: 13,250
Venue: Pittodrie Stadium, Aberdeen
Right from the kick-off Aberdeen swarmed forward aiming for an early goal. Ian Fleming passed to the onrushing Joe Harper and Duncan, in trying desperately to pass back to his 'keeper, crashed the ball against the post. The 14,300 crowd enjoyed Aberdeen's whirlwind start. Duncan Davidson blasted the ball wide from six yards out and then Harper had a shot on the turn brilliantly saved by McDonald. A superb goal by Fleming put the Dons ahead in 19 minutes. He dispossessed McLeod and lashed a 20 yard shot into the net. Immediately after this deserved goal the injured John McMaster was replaced by Drew Jarvie. Hibs battled to get into the game and their two Norwegian players, Refvik and Mathisen, were prominent. The Dons were soon applying pressure again and McDonald had to be at his agile best to save a 25 yard rocket from Jarvie. A second goal was inevitable and it was truly memorable when it did arrive. Dom Sullivan passed to Harper deep in the Aberdeen half. Harper embarked on a determined run before slipping the ball to the supporting Sullivan and he cracked a wonderful shot into the net. Aberdeen were really turning on the style now and Davidson narrowly missed the goal from 16 yards. Right on half-time Bobby Clark saved well from a Duncan shot.

A diving save from McDonald robbed Davidson of a goal from the kick-off. Try as they did, Hibs just could not pierce the Aberdeen defence, well marshalled by Willie Miller. Stuart Kennedy was finding the space to move upfield, which he did confidently and with considerable impact. McDonald was playing a hero's role and he had two saves in quick succession from Davidson and Harper, both chances being created by Fleming. In 63 minutes manager Ferguson made a tactical change, bringing Neil Cooper (now playing coach in Aberdeen's reserve team) on for Davidson. Cooper went deep allowing Jarvie to push forward supporting the attack. Harper made it 3-0 in 69 minutes. A mix-up in the Hibs' defence let Jarvie and Fleming in to set it up fa Joey and he crashed home his 21st goal of the season. Then Jarvie weaved his way through arc slipped the ball to Fleming, whose fierce drive was well stopped by McDonald, who was certainly earning his keep. Harper again delighted the home fans with another good goal in 80 minutes. Sullivan crossed accurately from the right and the little striker leapt to head flick the ball into the net. Five minutes from time Hibs scored a consolation goal when Hutchison blasted a 23 yard shot past Clark. Aberdeen played excellent football, outclassing Hibs, and, despite the cold weather with snow in the air, the crowd went home delighted and oblivious to the dropping temperature.

Source: Match Programme, 8th February 1992

Aberdeen Teamsheet:  Clark, Kennedy, McLelland, McMaster (Jarvie 38), Rougvie, Miller, Strachan, Fleming, Harper, Sullivan, Davidson (Cooper 63).

Unused Subs:


Hibernian Teamsheet:  McDonald, Duncan, Smith, Bremner, Fleming, McNamara, Mathisen, MacLeod, Refvik, Callachan, Hutchinson


Referee: A. McGunnigle, Glasgow

Related Links: