Click here to go back to the AFC Heritage Trust Homepage Aberdeen Football Club Heritage Trust Logo  
AFC - Match Report
match report 1978-79 fixture list
Premier Division 
Aberdeen 2 - 1 Partick Thistle
Kick Off:  7:30 PM   McMaster, Archibald.       Gibson 84  
Attendance: 11,500
Venue: Pittodrie Stadium, Aberdeen
Thistle, down in the lower region of the league, came to Pittodrie defensively minded and hoping to gain a point. Alan Rough was a hero in thwarting Aberdeen's goal-scoring efforts and it was ironic that he was to blame for the winning goal. 12,000 spectators were at the game. Aberdeen forced two corners in quick succession as they went in search of an early goal. Ian Scanlon followed with a dangerous solo run which he ended with a shot that went narrowly past. Aberdeen kept up the pressure and there were signs of uncertainty in the Firhill defence as the home attackers probed. Thistle did have one or two retaliatory raids with no danger to Bobby Clark's goal.
Rough was having more and more work to do. He had to dive smartly to divert a John McMaster shot and he had to tip over a snap shot from Dom Sullivan. The Dons maintained their momentum and Steve Archibald had a potential scoring shot blocked in a goalmouth melee. The home side was producing the more constructive build-up but some of the passing was rather erratic. The Partick 'keeper kept up the good work when he produced a brilliant save from Scanlon. Sullivan and Drew Jarvie combined on the left to create an opening but Rough parried Scanlon's low effort. Jar vie then went close when, after some neat footwork, his shot was hooked off the line by McKinnon. Thistle had never been in the hunt during the first period but dogged defending and brilliant goalkeeping had kept the Dons at bay. The worrying signs for Aberdeen were that the visitors seemed to be growing in confidence and competence as the game progressed.

Rough was in action right away dealing with an Archibald header from a Scanlon cross. With about 40 minutes to go Thistle began to employ time-wasting tactics which irritated the home fans, but they cheered up when McMaster went close with a fierce left foot drive. A minute later they did cheer when Scanlon netted but the referee had blown his whistle for offside. The Dons were denied a penalty when Houston brought down Gordon Strachan, the referee ruling that the wee man had "taken a dive". Strachan then went close with a spectacular drive and, as the Dons intensified their efforts, joe Harper replaced Drew Jarvie. It was one-way traffic incessantly but still the visitors' defence did not crack or wilt.
Aberdeen had their patience and perseverance finally rewarded in 73 minutes when McMaster, taking a square pass from Strachan, found the corner of the net with a controlled, well-placed shot from 20 yards. Thistle brought on Gibson for McAdam and, a few minutes later, Melrose for Houston. Just a few seconds after the second substitution, in 84 minutes, the Jags equalised when Gibson cracked a great 20 yarder past Clark. Luckily for the Dons they immediately raised their game and their determination and managed to regain their lead in 86 minutes. A long cross from Stuart Kennedy found Archibald forging through the middle and he headed into the net as Rough stood rooted to the spot, making it easier for the striker to score.
To help to "kill" time Chic McLelland appeared as a last-minute substitute for Strachan and the Dons had gained a hard-fought and deserved victory.

Source: Match Programme, 14th January 1995

Aberdeen Teamsheet:  Clark, Kennedy, Considine, McMaster, Rougvie, McLeish, Sullivan, Archibald, Scanlon, Jarvie (Harper), Strachan (McLelland).

Unused Subs:


Partick Thistle Teamsheet:  Rough, McKinnon, Whittaker, Anderson, McAdam (Gibson), Campbell, Houston, Somner, Marr, O'Hara, Park


Referee: W. Anderson, East Kilbride

Related Links: