Click here to go back to the AFC Heritage Trust Homepage Aberdeen Football Club Heritage Trust Logo  
AFC - Match Report
match report 1980-81 fixture list
Premier Division 
Aberdeen 4 - 1 Airdrie
Kick Off:  3:00 PM   McCall 5, McCall 27, McGhee 40, McCall 48.       Miller 82 og  
Attendance: 9,266
Venue: Pittodrie Stadium, Aberdeen
9000 spectators witnessed the lanky Walker McCall's first game for Aberdeen since his return from playing for Atlanta Chiefs in U.S.A. He celebrated with a memorable hat-trick.

Walker McCall put the reigning champions into the lead after only 5 minutes, seconds after Martin had saved a close-in effort from Drew Jarvie. It was a terrific finish by the lanky striker when he volleyed home the ball after Doug Rougvie had nodded down an Ian Scanlon cross. Airdrie did not take this setback lying down and shots from Thompson and Gordon whizzed past Jim Leighton's left-hand post. Willie Miller gave the home fans a scare when he fell injured, but the indestructible defender was able to resume after treatment. Airdrie were certainly trying hard and the game see-sawed with both teams having spells of ascendancy. The ever-alert Gordon Strachan pierced the Diamonds' defence but the pace of the ball was just too fast as it eluded McCall.
In 27 minutes McCall scored again and the referee allowed this counter to stand, despite vehement Airdrie protests. Keeper Martin fumbled a chest-high Jarvie shot and as he attempted to gain control of the ball, McCall prodded the ball over the goal-line in the ensuing scramble. Manager Watson had to be restrained from encroaching on to the pitch. 5 minutes before the interval Mark McGhee scored a third goal when he dispossessed Martin and rounded the keeper before stroking the ball casually into the net. A brave save by the busy Martin prevented Ian Scanlon from scoring. On the stroke of half-time March was sent off for a foul on McCall.

Before Airdrie had time to reorganise their 10 men Aberdeen scored again in 48 minutes. Martin could only weakly punch out a McGhee cross and McCall snapped up the gift to notch his hat-trick. It was now one-way traffic against the under strength part-timers and it seemed that more goals would be scored. McGhee did have the ball in the net but was ruled offside. Aberdeen's debut defender, Andy Dornan, broke up an isolated Airdrie raid with a finely-timed tackle on Russell but that was about the only dangerous attack the visitors could muster. On the hour mark McGhee was replaced by Duncan Davidson whose speed would give the visitors something new to worry about. The game had been killed as a spectacle by the combination of the visitors being shorthanded and the cold, blustery conditions. Next, Neale Cooper took the place of Alex McLeish. Aberdeen seemed content with their four goal lead in the latter stages of the game but were shaken out of their complacency in 82 minutes when Miller inadvertently diverted a Clark cross past Leighton. While the second half was virtually a non-event the first half had produced some delightful, exhilarating football.

Source: Match Programme, 16th January 1993

Aberdeen Teamsheet:  Leighton, Dornan, Rougvie, Watson, McLeish (Cooper), Miller, Strachan, McCall, McGhee (Davidson 60), Jarvie, Scanlon.

Unused Subs:

Bookings:  Watson.

Airdrie Teamsheet:  Martin, Walker, Rodger, McCluskey, March, Anderson N, Thompson (Anderson G), Clark, Russell, Gordon, McKeown

Bookings:  March 27,   Martin 27,   Anderson 67  March 44

Referee: A. C. Harris, Liff

Related Links: