Click here to go back to the AFC Heritage Trust Homepage Aberdeen Football Club Heritage Trust Logo  
AFC - Match Report
match report 1980-81 fixture list
Premier Division 
Aberdeen 4 - 1 Heart of Midlothian
Kick Off:  3:00 PM   McCall, Hamilton, Jarvie, Angus.       Hamill 69  
Attendance: 11,128
Venue: Pittodrie Stadium, Aberdeen
The Dons' were desperate to record their first win in 8 games and they almost snatched the early goal they wanted. Alex McLeish backheaded an Ian Scanlon corner past Brough but Hamill cleared off the line. Hearts were also desperate to win as they were second bottom in the league, so both sides showed a willingness to attack. The play ebbed and flowed, with Willie Miller bringing a great deal of composure to the home defence. Ian Angus and Derek Hamilton both missed narrowly as Aberdeen persevered. McShane almost broke the deadlock with a vicious 20 yard shot that crashed off Jim Leighton's crossbar.
The Dons suddenly took control of the game with two goals in four minutes. In 38 minutes Walker McCall crowned his recall to the team with a goal, putting the ball beyond Brough's reach from a Drew Jarvie pass. Then it was Hamilton's turn to celebrate his comeback when his low shot was deflected past the helpless Brough. McCall almost made it 3-0 when the 'keeper could only parry a Neil Simpson shot for the striker to half-hit past.

These two quick goals had given the home team's confidence a tremendous boost and, in 53 minutes, they went further ahead when McCall reciprocated for Jarvie to net. His pass enabled Jarvie to shoot from the edge of the box and his shot went in off the post. Aberdeen were by now in almost complete control and more scoring seemed inevitable. In 65 minutes Ian Angus capped a sound display by stroking the ball into the net from a well judged Stuart Kennedy cross. Slackness in defence allowed Hamill to pull one back in 69 minutes with a low shot from 12 yards. Both sides made a double substitution. Doug Rougvie and John Hewitt replaced Hamilton and McCall while O'Brien and Bowman took the place of McKay and McShane.
The Dons almost scored a fifth goal when a Scanlon head-flick was well saved by Brough at full stretch Hearts showed they had some life left when Gibson rounded Leighton, only for his prod towards goal to be cleared off the line by Kennedy. Aberdeen continued to dominate and create plenty of chances but, in the end, had to settle for four. Scanlon, who was injured in a clash, was carried from the field at the final whistle.

Source: Match Programme, 18th March 1992

The Dons re-established themselves in the running for the league championship by crushing Hearts after a dismal succession of results. Comeback men Walker McCall and Derek Hamilton both scored in front of 11,000 spectators. The Dons, desperate to record their first league win in eight weeks, almost scored the early goal they wanted to settle their nerves. Alex McLeish's backheader from an Ian Scanlon corner beat Brough but Hamill hooked the ball clear. Hearts also showed a willingness to attack and Stuart Kennedy and McLeish both endangered their own goal with careless pass backs. Relegation-threatened Hearts continued to launch attacks and the Dons relied on skipper Willie Miller to bring some composure to the home defence. Walker McCall's perseverance created a chance for Ian Angus and Derek Hamilton just failed to score. McShane then crashed a vicious shot off the crossbar with Jim Leighton well beaten. Aberdeen suddenly took control of the game with two goals in a four minute just before the interval. In 38 minutes Drew Jarvie knocked down a Kennedy pass to McCall for the tall striker to score. Then Hamilton had a shot which spun off Hamill's leg and drifted over Brough's head. Right on half time McCall should have netted again but lost control at the vital moment.


The two quick goals had given the home team's confidence a boost and they went further ahead in 53 minutes when McCall rolled the ball into Jarvie's path for the No. 10 to score with a low shot which went in off a post. The Dons were by this time playing with great authority and were creating a number of chances. Another goal was imminent and it duly arrived in 65 minutes when Angus nipped in to push home a Kennedy cross. Hearts retaliated 4 minutes later when slack marking allowed Hamill to score. Both sides used their substitutes, Doug Rougvie and John Hewitt for Hamilton and McCall and O'Brien and Bowman replacing McKay and McShane.
A fifth goal looked likely but Brough saved well from Scanlon's head flick. Hearts had not stopped yet and Gibson rounded Leighton and prodded the ball towards the empty goal only for Kennedy to rush back and clear. The Dons kept up the pressure but had to settle for four goals. Just before the final whistle Scanlon was carried off after an accidental collision.

Source: Match programme, 13th August 1994

Aberdeen Teamsheet:  Leighton, Kennedy, Hamilton (Rougvie), Angus, McLeish, Miller, Simpson, McCall (Hewitt), McGhee, Jarvie, Scanlon.

Unused Subs:


Heart of Midlothian Teamsheet:  Brough, Hamilton, Shields, More, Liddell F, Hamill, Mackay (Bowman), Gibson, McShane (O?Brien), Liddell G, Kidd


Referee: D. F. T. Syme, Rutherglen

Related Links: