Click here to go back to the AFC Heritage Trust Homepage Aberdeen Football Club Heritage Trust Logo  
AFC - Match Report
match report 2002-03 fixture list
Scottish Cup Third Round Replay 
Aberdeen 4 - 1 Queen of the South
Kick Off:  7:45 PM   Young 15, D'Jaffo 22, Anderson 25, D'Jaffo 90.       Weatherson (90)  
Attendance: 6,068 (Visitors: 273)
Venue: Pittodrie Stadium, Aberdeen
Dons march on in cup
Aberdeen booked their place in the next round of the cup with a comfortable win over Queen of the South. A brace from Laurent D'Jaffo and goals from Young and Anderson were more than enough to take them through. Queens grabbed a late consolation from the penalty spot to give their fans something to cheer about on the long journey home. For the Dons, it's a much shorter trip down the A90 to face Dundee in the 4th round.

Aberdeen started brightly and won the first corner of the match in the 2nd minute. A short corner was taken and Scott gathered under pressure to deny an early opening. The visitors had not made the long trip just to make up the numbers and were eager to get forward when the opportunity arose. The biggest threat from the Dons in the early stages came from the left with Clark and Sheerin combining well. The pair forced a corner in the 12th minute, which D'Jaffo could only steer over.

The Frenchman went closer in the 15th minute as he steered a Payne cross goalwards only for the ball to be turned behind. The resultant corner produced the opener when the ball was half cleared and Derek Young, with a point to prove, turned and drilled the ball through a posse of players and into the net. Queens had a chance to equalise four minutes later when O'Neill fired in a powerful shot. Preece did well to block the effort and Anderson tidied up.

Aberdeen simply moved up a gear after this threat and the tie was sewn up with a quick double. D'Jaffo grabbed the second in the 22nd minute when he managed to turn a Payne cross into the net from a tight angle. Three minutes later Anderson headed home a Clark corner to put the Dons on easy street. In between these two strikes D'Jaffo had a shot blocked and Tosh set up O'Donoghue for a fine effort that went inches over the bar.

Derek Young went close again in the 33rd minute with a dipping shot that scraped the crossbar. To their credit Queens didn't let the heads go down and continued to threaten on the break. Payne had to look lively to block a McLaughlin shot in the 36th minute and Anderson showed his International quality 4 minutes later to deny O'Connor. Preece was also kept on his toes, turning a long range Bowey effort round the post.

The second half was barely five minutes old when O'Connor went down with a serious injury. After a lengthy delay the Queens man left the pitch on a stretcher. This stoppage appeared to take a lot of the rhythm out of the match, but nevertheless Tosh went close in the 57th minute and Sheerin delivered a telling cross seconds later, which was scrambled clear. The Dons then produced a delightful passage of play in the 63rd minute when Payne released Young on the right and cut the ball back for O'Donoghue. The Queens defence had to be on their toes to block the midfielder's effort.

Two minutes later Clark went on a probing run on the left before cutting inside and driving over from 12 yards. A series of substitutions did little to help the continuity, but Scott was forced to make a double save in the 82nd minute when he first blocked a fierce Clark drive then stopped D'Jaffo's attempt to convert the rebound.

Queens grabbed a late consolation when Weatherson fired home from the spot after Anderson had bundled him over in the box. Deep in injury time Aberdeen grabbed a fourth when D'Jaffo turned a Clark cross into the net. Aberdeen finished the match laying siege to the visitors' goal without adding to the scoring. The damage had been done in the first half however, and The Dons now look forward to a trip to Dens Park on Saturday.

Aberdeen Teamsheet:  Preece, Payne, Deloumeaux (Rutkiewicz 72), McGuire (McAllister 76), Anderson, O'Donoghue, Tosh (Fabiano 76), Sheerin, Clark, D'Jaffo, Young.

Unused Subs:


Queen of the South Teamsheet:  Scott, Renicks, Anderson, McColligan, Aitken, Thomson, O'Neil, Bowey, Paton, O'Connor, McLaughlin.

Unused Subs: Lyle for McColligan (55), Weatherson for O'Neill (65), McAlpine for Paton (85)

Bookings:  Anderson (70)

Referee: Garry Mitchell, Arbroath

Related Links: