Click here to go back to the AFC Heritage Trust Homepage Aberdeen Football Club Heritage Trust Logo  
AFC - Match Report
match report 1981-82 fixture list
Premier Division 
Aberdeen 3 - 1 Partick Thistle
Kick Off:  7:30 PM   McCall 16, Watson 31, Hewitt 88.       Doyle 39  
Attendance: 7,000
Venue: Pittodrie Stadium, Aberdeen
There was early evidence that the wind would give the players problems in controlling the ball. Aberdeen created the first opening when successive head-flicks by Eric Black and Walker McCall gave Ian Angus a scoring chance, which swerved well off target. Then Rough did well to turn a fierce shot from McCall away for a corner. This was followed by Thistle's first sortie upheld, when Watson's crass swirled just wide of the far post. McDonald replaced the injured Watson and Aberdeen began to dominate. Rough rescued Thistle with a fine deflection from a strong drive by Doug Rougvie. The Dons' opening goal came as no surprise in 16 minutes. Black flicked a low cross from Rougvie into the air for McCall to beat Rough in the jump and head the ball into the net. 5 minutes later a Black header from a Peter Weir cross was headed off the line by Murray.
Partick then had a short spell of pressure without troubling Jim Leighton but Aberdeen were soon on the offensive again and the second goal arrived in 31 minutes. Black resisted a challenge before wheeling and sending a high ball to the far post. McCall rose majestically to nod the ball into Andy Watson's path and he volleyed it home. Dougie Bell should have increased their lead just after this goal but Rough smothered his shot. Thistle, however, had not surrendered and produced a well-executed goal in 39 minutes, with Doyle supplying the finishing touch after good work by O'Hara. John Hewitt substituted for Weir as Aberdeen resumed their pressure.

Aberdeen attacked from the kick-off and McCall was unlucky to see his shot striking the upright. Next, Park broke away to test Leighton with a low drive. At the other end Whittaker earned a booking when he illegally tackled Stuart Kennedy as he surged forward on one of his famous runs. With the Dons struggling to re-establish their two-goal superiority Thistle continued to show great spirit in their attempt to beat the drop. A lapse by Rougvie let in McDonald and his shot narrowly missed the target. As the tension of the occasion got to Thistle, two more of their players were booked within a minute of each other. Bell was unfortunate with two good efforts, one being saved by Rough and the other just clearing the crossbar McDowell then replaced the earlier substitute. McDonald. Ten minutes from the end Neale Cooper replaced McCall as Aberdeen tightened up the situation to make sure they did not lose a second goal, Partick had one final burst, which proved futile, when Whittaker's free-kick was well held by Leighton. The Dons - and their supporters - finally breathed a sigh of relief in 88 minutes when Hewitt found the net with an excellent shot from a Black cross. It had beet a frustrating second half for Aberdeen and Thistle had battled well, if unsuccessfully.

Source: Match Programme, 27th February 1993

N.B. The programme was not available on the day of the match but was made available to collectors afterwards by post.
Aberdeen Teamsheet:  Leighton, Kennedy, Rougvie, Watson, McLeish, Miller, Black, Bell, McCall (Cooper 80), Angus, Weir (Hewitt 41).

Unused Subs:


Partick Thistle Teamsheet:  Rough, Murray, Lapsley, Whittaker, Dunlop, Watson (McDonald 12 (McDowell 77)), Park, Jardine, Johnston, Doyle, O?Hara

Bookings:  Whittaker 54,   O'Hara 70,   Jardine 71

Referee: D. S. Downie, Edinburgh

Related Links: