Click here to go back to the AFC Heritage Trust Homepage Aberdeen Football Club Heritage Trust Logo  
AFC - Match Report
match report 1982-83 fixture list
Premier Division 
Aberdeen 2 - 0 Kilmarnock
Kick Off:  3:00 PM   Weir, Miller.        
Attendance: 14,500
Venue: Pittodrie Stadium, Aberdeen
The weather was Arctic, especially for poor Jim Leighton, who was virtually a spectator for the 90 minutes. 14,500 spectators bravely turned up, probably to acquire vouchers for tickets for the forthcoming European tie against Bayern Munich. It was immediately obvious that the spectators - and the players - were going to be the losers as good football was going to be virtually impossible in the icy conditions and comfort for the fans was non-existent. The kick-off was delayed by 10 minutes to allow in the many latecomers and both sets of players began very tentatively despite a liberal scattering of sand on the pitch.
The left foot of winger Peter Weir was sure in directing a 25 yard free kick into the net in 4 minutes when Mark McGhee was fouled by McDicken. Another free kick, taken by Gordon Strachan, almost brought a second goal. Eric Black glided the ball across the face of the goal with his head and McGhee just failed to make contact. It was really one-way traffic but the incessant pressure failed to produce any more goals. The treacherous surface was responsible for the players' lack of control and it meant that the visitors had a chance of causing a surprise result. Neil Simpson had a shot blocked involuntarily by the keeper and McGhee had two efforts smothered in the ensuing scramble in the goalmouth. McCulloch again came to Killie's rescue when he finger-tipped a Black header from a Weir corner on to the crossbar and then denied Neale Cooper a goal when he dived to block a close-range shot.

Weir was one player relatively at ease on the uncertain surface and he tested McCulloch's alertness. McGhee then forced the ball into the Killie net but the whistle had gone for offside. Weir was causing problems and Paul Clarke was booked for barging him off the ball. Next Walker McCall replaced McGhee. The Aberdeen goal survived its only moment of danger when Bourke, beating Jim Leighton in the race for a long through ball, sent his shot narrowly past. Leighton was glad of the temporary exercise. Next Bryson came on for Gallagher. Willie Miller was then involved in a series of incidents culminating in his goal in 87 minutes. Firstly he had a strong appeal for a penalty turned down when he was flattened by one of Killie's towering defenders. Next a shot by the skipper struck the diving keeper's foot and was diverted for a corner and finally his persistence was rewarded when he headed home Weir's flag kick. The expected "slaughter" of the Kilmarnock innocents had not materialised but any kind of victory in such adverse conditions was acceptable and the players headed for a very welcome hot bath.

Source: Match Programme, 3rd December 1994

Aberdeen Teamsheet:  Leighton, Kennedy, Rougvie, Cooper, McLeish, Miller, Strachan, Simpson, McGhee (McCall), Black, Weir.

Unused Subs:


Kilmarnock Teamsheet:  McCulloch, McLean, Robertson, Clark, McDicken, Clarke, McGivern, McLeod, Bourke, Cockburn, Gallagher (Bryson)


Referee: H. Young, Larkhall

Related Links: