Click here to go back to the AFC Heritage Trust Homepage Aberdeen Football Club Heritage Trust Logo  
AFC - Match Report
match report 1984-85 fixture list
Premier Division 
Aberdeen 3 - 2 Dundee
Kick Off:  3:00 PM   Stark 12, Black 55, Black 82.       Stephen 29, Rafferty 30  
Attendance: 14,700
Venue: Pittodrie Stadium, Aberdeen
Dundee lined up to applaud the league champiČons on to the field and, in brilliant sunshine, almost 15,000 fans saw the Minister for Sport, Allan Stewart, unfurl the championship flag. Strachan, McGhee and Rougvie had departed to be replaced by Billy Stark, Tommy McQueen and Frank McDougall (the following week). Dundee proceeded to take a shock half-time lead.

In the early stages both teams had brief spells of supremacy. Dundee started with a cornet and a penalty claim when Tommy McQueen clashed with Kidd. Aberdeen bounced back and Eric Black was injured after bravely attempting to get his head to a teasing cross from John Hewitt. Gradually the champions settled into their stride and Doug Bell could have notched the first goal of the season when an astute ball from Black left him in the clear. With Geddes advancing rapidly Bell clipped the ball a fraction too high. However, the opening goal duly arrived in 12 minutes when Billy Stark took full advantage of slack marking at a Hewitt corner to head home as the visiting defence stood like statues. Dundee had fallen out of the picture and were becoming rattled as their reckless tacking demonstrated. Stark almost punished them further from another corner but Gtermie intercepted swiftly. Dundee refused shook the Dons and their supporters with two goals in a minute!
Stephen let fly from 18 yards in 29 minutes and the ball entered the net off the post and before the Dons could draw breath, the visitors struck again. Stephen touched a free kick at the edge of the box to Rafferty and his fierce drive gave Leighton no chance. Right on the interval a Willie Falconer cross was just too high for Hewitt.

Dundee restarted with Smith on for Stephen and went looking for a third goal. Connor beat three defenders in a mazy run but Kidd was too slow to benefit from his pass. Aberdeen then took off Stark and put on Ian Porteous. In 55 minutes Black restored some pride to the champions by scoring the equaliser. Falconer made ground down the left wing and Black was handily placed to beat Geddes with a great diving header. The game was "hotting up" and the tension overflowed into the dugout as both managers were out on the track with some forceful encouragement, Both teams were obviČously going for more goals and the fans were enjoying the game.
In 70 minutes McWilliams replaced Kidd and Hewitt tested Geddes with a raging 25 yard drive which was tipped over the bar. In 81 minutes Steve Cowan replaced Falconer and in the next minute, Black claimed the winning goal. Hewitt's cross from the right was neatly deflected off Black's head past a bemused 'keeper.
Dundee had hoped to register their first ever Premier Division victory over the Dons but the shaky red machine got into gear in the second period to give the fans a good start to the new season.

Source: Match Programme, 30th April 1994

Aberdeen Teamsheet:  Leighton, Mitchell, McQueen, Bell, McLeish, Miller, Stark (Porteous 50), Simpson, Hewitt, Black, Falconer (Cowan 81).

Unused Subs:


Dundee Teamsheet:  Geddes, McGeachie, McKinlay, Rafferty, McCormack, Glennie, Kidd (McWilliams), Stephen (Smith), McCall, Connor, Harris


Referee: J. Duncan, Gorebridge

Related Links: