Click here to go back to the AFC Heritage Trust Homepage Aberdeen Football Club Heritage Trust Logo  
AFC - Match Report
match report 1984-85 fixture list
Premier Division 
Aberdeen 5 - 1 Rangers
Kick Off:  3:00 PM   McDougall, Black, McQueen (Pen), McDougall, McDougall.       Prytz 75  
Attendance: 23,000
Venue: Pittodrie Stadium, Aberdeen
Rangers' hero, Derek Johnstone, returned for this game from Chelsea but took second billing to Frank McDougall, who scored his first hat-trick for Aberdeen. Aberdeen v. Rangers games are always competitive but it was a pity that Stewart McKimmie and Ally Dawson were sent off. 22,000 fans were at the game.

Right away there was a sharp bite about the play as the players snapped at each other. The Dons were the first team to settle and began to assert their authority. They silenced the Rangers' support with two goals in the space of three minutes. With 11 minutes gone Peter Weir crossed accurately from the left for Frank McDougall to head the ball past a suspect keeper.
McDougall inflicted more punishment almost immediately with a carbon copy goal, similar to his earlier effort, except that Neil Simpson provided the cross. A two goal lead so early in the game had given the home team a terrific advantage and Rangers were clearly rattled.
With 24 minutes gone the game erupted when the referee sensationally sent off Stewart McKimmie and Rangers' Dawson after an ugly clash. The Rangers' player was clearly upset by McKimmie's tackle and swung a blow as he rose. Rangers' skip¬per, Paterson, tried to break up the players but was booked for his pains. The other two were red-carded,
McDougall almost made it a first-half hat-trick when Walker fumbled a low shot from Billy Stark, but he managed to smother the ball before Frank could pounce. Rangers had two good attempts just before the interval. Jim Leighton palmed out a Johnstone header and Willie Miller had a magnificent tackle on McDonald.
Redford substituted for Ferguson but the Dons kept up the pressure. Three Weir corner kicks in quick succession plus a teasing cross from the same player stretched the Rangers' defence. Then followed a burst of Light Blue pressure. Prytz and McCoist combined for the latter to side-foot the ball past. Leighton and Miller were at their international best to baulk these few attacks.
In 54 minutes Brian Mitchell replaced Stark and four minutes later Aberdeen pounced again. Doug Bell released Eric Black and he sent a raging shot high into the net from near the penalty spot. This goa: really clinched the result. A few minutes McMinn replaced McDonald and John Hewitt came on for Bell.
In 72 minutes McDougall notched his first ? but not last ? hat-trick for the Dons. A Simpson volley was knocked out to Miller, who returned the ball, and the opportunist Frank flashed the ball past Walker from a couple of yards out. Three minutes later Rangers scored a consolation goal when Prytz shot from 20 yards out and his low drive was deflected past Leighton.
Nine minutes from time Paterson pushed Weir. Tommy McQueen lashed the resultant penalty high into the net. Johnstone completed an unhappy return when he was booked for a foul on Black. Aberdeen now had 39 points and led the table, followed by Celtic, Rangers and Dundee United.
Aberdeen Teamsheet:  Leighton, McKimmie, McQueen, Stark (Mitchell), Cooper, Miller, Black, Simpson, McDougall, Bell (Hewitt), Weir.

Unused Subs:

Bookings:  McKimmie.

Rangers Teamsheet:  Walker, McKinnon, Dawson!, McPherson, Paterson, Prytz, McCoist, Ferguson D (Redford), Johnstone, McDonald (McMinn), Cooper

Bookings:   Dawson

Referee: D. F. T. Syme, Rutherglen

Related Links:
Watch Highlights on RedTV (Subscription Required)