Click here to go back to the AFC Heritage Trust Homepage Aberdeen Football Club Heritage Trust Logo  
AFC - Match Report
match report 1985-86 fixture list
Premier Division 
Aberdeen 4 - 1 Celtic
Kick Off:  3:00 PM   McDougall, McDougall, McDougall, McDougall.       Provan 43  
Attendance: 23,000
Venue: Pittodrie Stadium, Aberdeen
At Murrayfield Flower ot Scotland inspires the rugby players, Aberdeen fans sang the praises of Frank McDougall who scored 4 goals in this game, the first Don to score 4 against Celtic since "Gentleman" George Hamilton achieved that feat at Parkhead on 2nd January. 1947.

22,000 spectators saw an explosive start to the game when McInally fouled Alex McLeish after 20 seconds, This was to set the pattern as 6 Celts and 2 Dons were to be booked in the course of the game. Celtic were certainly the livelier team in the opening stages and Aitken and McClair came close to scoring, Neale Cooper making a great tackle on Aitken. Driving sleet was not cooling the temperature on the field. McClair missed another opportunity from 6 yards out. Billy Stark almost scored with a header as the Dons tried to force their way into the game, but Celtic stormed back and Provan flashed a 25 yard shot inches wide, Next, McInally and Paul McStay forced Jim Leighton to bring off good saves. At last the home side got their act together in 27 minutes. Eric Black broke free from McGrain and his accurate cross was headed home by Frank McDougall, his 11th goal of the season. Play continued to be abrasive and bad-tempered with referee McGinlay's pencil and notebook in regular use. 2 minutes before half-time Celtic scored a merited equaliser when Provan netted from a 20 yard free kick.

Jim Bett replaced Stark and within 3 minutes McDougall scored with another header. John Hewitt's corner kick was headed into the goal area by Alex McLeish for Frank to head powerfully past the stranded Bonner. In 55 minutes he completed a glorious hat-trick. Bett had a good run down the left wing and McDougall side-footed his cross into the net with few defenders in the vicinity. Celtic were shattered when the aforementioned McDougall scored an incredible fourth goal in 64 minutes. He passed to Hewitt, who in turn found Black free on the right wing. McDougall was in the right spot to hammer the cross past a bewildered the keeper. Almost immediately Paul Wright replaced Hewitt and a few minutes later Chalmers came on for Mclnally. With 10 minutes to go Willie McStay became the eighth player to be booked. It had been a rollicking, enthralling game with lots of action and incidents for the fans. What a pity that a TV strike prevented Frank and the Aberdeen fans from seeing the highlights!

Source: Match Programme, 5th August 1992

Aberdeen Teamsheet:  Leighton, McKimmie, Mitchell, Stark (Bett), McLeish, Miller, Black, Simpson, McDougall, Cooper, Hewitt (Wright).

Unused Subs:


Celtic Teamsheet:  Bonner, McStay W, McGrain, Aitken, McAdam (McGugan), Grant, Provan, McStay P, McClair, Burns, McInally (Chalmers)


Referee: B. R. McGinlay, Balfron

Related Links: