Click here to go back to the AFC Heritage Trust Homepage Aberdeen Football Club Heritage Trust Logo  
AFC - Match Report
match report 1986-87 fixture list
Premier Division 
Aberdeen 4 - 0 Hibernian
Kick Off:  7:30 PM   Miller 21, Angus 51, Gray 68, Stark 77.        
Attendance: 12,983
Venue: Pittodrie Stadium, Aberdeen
Aberdeen opened their Premier League campaign with a visit from Hibs before 13,000 spectators. In a comfortable victory Aberdeen's goals were distributed among Joe Miller, Ian Angus, Steve Gray and Billy Stark. Hibs could not complain at the scoreline.

Despite the orthodox numbering it was obvious that Stewart McKimmie was operating in midfield with Brian Mitchell at right back and Angus at left back. Play was fast and furious in the opening minutes but over-enthusiasm on both sides resulted in too many unforced errors. When Gray sent over an inviting cross Rough just beat John Hewitt to the ball and, when Hibs broke to the other end, Brian Irvine cleared Tortolano's cross. Irvine was in action again when persistence by Cowan forced him to hastily pass back to Jim Leighton.
The Dons broke the deadlock in 21 minutes. Peter Weir's flag-kick was deflected for Miller to nod the ball into the roof of the net from close range. The home side maintained their pres¬sure and almost increased the lead when an accurate Weir cross seemed bound for Billy Stark's head until Fulton made a valuable interception. The Aberdeen goal had a narrow escape when a Mickey Weir corner penetrated a packed defence and, in the ensuing melee, the ball slid past Leighton's goal. Then a 25 yard drive from Kirkwood produced a spectacular diving save from Leighton. Although Fulton was booked for a challenge on Hewitt just on the interval, it had been a clean game, which was a relief for Manager Ferguson as he did not wish any addition to an already hefty injury list.

Half Time 1-0

Miller made a promising break after the resumption but Tortolano and Rough combined to smother his effort. Next Mickey Weir broke away but his parting shot did not cause any problem to Leighton. One of the best moves of the game saw Aberdeen increase their lead in 51 minutes. It was instigated by Miller who brought Brian Mitchell into action in an overlap on the right. The full back swept over a first time cross which Weir sidefooted to Angus, whose first shot was blocked. The left back recovered to net at the second attempt. In a similar type of move Gray's cross gave Miller "two bites of the cherry". After his first shot had been blocked he sent the rebound over the bar. Leighton had to get down smartly to make a point-blank save from May and immediately Kane replaced May. Aberdeen's supremacy was so evident that a third goal came as no surprise in 68 minutes. A long pass from Alex McLeish eluded the visitors defence and the unmarked Gray pounced to net via the upright despite a challenge by Rough.
Miller was injured in a clash with Rough but he recovered immediately and saw Cowan thwarted by Leighton's fine save in an isolated raid. In 77 minutes a neat build-up involving Hewitt, Miller and Weir resulted in Stark making the most of Weir's unselfish pass. A minute later Willie Falconer and Frank McDougal replaced Gray and Miller.
Hewitt did have the ball in the net after a Weir cross had come back off the crossbar but the linesman indicated that the ball had crossed the bye-line on its way over.

Source: Match Programme, 23rd March 1996

Aberdeen Teamsheet:  Leighton, McKimmie, Mitchell, Stark, McLeish, Irvine, Gray (Falconer), Miller (McDougall), Hewitt, Angus, Weir.

Unused Subs:


Hibernian Teamsheet:  Rough, Sneddon, Tortolano, Kirkwood, Fulton, Chisholm, Beedie, Weir, Cowan, Irvine, May (Kane)

Bookings:  Fulton

Referee: R. B. Valentine, Dundee

Related Links: