Click here to go back to the AFC Heritage Trust Homepage Aberdeen Football Club Heritage Trust Logo  
AFC - Match Report
match report 1993-94 fixture list
League Cup Quarter Final 
Rangers 2 - 1 Aberdeen
    AET. (1-1 after 90 min)
Kick Off:  7:45 PM   Hateley 1 (Pen), Ferguson I 92       Miller 49 (Pen).  
Attendance: 44,928
Venue: Ibrox Stadium, Glasgow
Dons Exit League Cup after Extra Time

From the kick-off Rangers bore down field to be awarded a 15 second penalty. Durrant made a diagonal run in the area and went down in a heap after going past Brian Irvine. The Dons' defenders' protestations of innocence fell on deaf ears so far as the Referee was concerned and Hateley netted from the spot.

Undaunted, the Dons surged back to launch a series of assaults on the Ibrox goal. The closest they came to equalising in the first half, however, was right at the end of forty five minutes when Scott Booth's shot on the turn was superbly saved by Maxwell.

Within five minutes of the re-start, the Dons were back on an even keel. The goal was remarkably similar to the one that had been lost at the very start of the match. Scott Booth was pulled down by Gough in the box and Joe Miller converted from the spot.

Boosted by this the Dons continued to dominate, but were unable to make the breakthrough, though Lee Richardson did fire a 30 yarder just over the top.

The game went into overtime and as at the start of the game Rangers were to strike an early, and this time decisive blow. Huistra's cross was cleared, but only as far as Ian Ferguson and he rifled a powerful 25 yard drive past Theo Snelders.

Source: Aberdeen FC Yearbook 1994

Rangers Teamsheet:  Maxwell, Stevens, Robertson D, Gough, Pressley, Murray (Ferguson D), Steven, Ferguson I, Durrant, Hateley, Huistra (Wishart)

Bookings:  Gough

Aberdeen Teamsheet:  Snelders, McKimmie, Smith (Miller 46), Kane, McLeish, Irvine, Richardson, Bett, Booth (Shearer 98), Jess, Paatelainen.

Unused Subs:

Bookings:  Kane,  Irvine.

Referee: D. F. T. Syme, Rutherglen

Related Links: