Click here to go back to the AFC Heritage Trust Homepage Aberdeen Football Club Heritage Trust Logo  
AFC - Match Report
match report 2005-06 fixture list
Huntly 2 - 4 Aberdeen
Kick Off:  3:00 PM   M Stewart 50, 56       Anderson (OG) 9, Stewart 24, Byrne 82.  
Attendance: 1,800
Venue: Christie Park, Huntly
Dons off to a winning start
Aberdeen started their pre-season campaign with a win but were pushed all the way by the Highland League Champions.

Substitute Ritchie Byrne was the Dons hero as came off the bench to score with two late headers to win the game. Aberdeen had gone into a 2 goal lead but were pegged back by 2 goals from Martin Stewart playing in his own testimonial.

Jimmy Calderwood picked a makeshift side which included 19 year old trialist Henry McStay. The Irish youngster had previously played for Leeds United and Halifax.

In a 4-4-2 formation Derek Adams lined up front with John Stewart, captain for the day Chris Clark played in the middle of the park alongside Jamie Winter with Jamie Smith and Gary Dempsey playing in the wide roles. McStay played in central defence with fellow youngster Andrew Considine. Richard Foster and Scott Muirhead covered the full back positions and Jamie Langfield started in goal.

The match kicked off 5 minutes late to allow the 1,800 strong crowd in. Once the game got underway it was Muirhead's driving runs forward that were posing Huntly the biggest problems. After 5 minutes his cross broke to Adams but he curled his shot wide. On 9 minutes though Aberdeen took the lead. Muirhead had a great run down the left, played a one two with Dempsey before putting a dangerous ball across the face of goal. Huntly defender Scott Anderson was the unfortunate player who got the last touch to put the ball over the line. Despite going a goal down Huntly came more into the game with experienced strikers Martin Stewart and Ritchie Taylor causing the young Dons defence a few problems. It was slightly against the run of play when Aberdeen grabbed their second. Clark flicked the ball to Dempsey who played an excellent pass to John Stewart. The striker showed great composure to beat a couple of defenders before coolly slotting the ball past the keeper. (24 minutes)

In the second half it looked as though Aberdeen's superior fitness and pace would start to count. But Huntly never gave up and Taylor should have scored when put through by Stewart on 50 minutes. However Huntly finally got the goal their play deserved a minute later. Taylor this time played the ball to Stewart who took his chance well. The home supporters and Huntly players were understandably delighted for the striker.

6 minutes later they were overjoyed as Huntly equalised. AFC Community Coach Scott Anderson played a superb through ball to Stewart who was completely unmarked. The striker again took his chance brilliantly as he put the ball through Landfield's legs. (56 mins)

Jimmy Calderwood was not looking best pleased on the touchline. He decided to turn to some of his big guns with McNaughton and Byrne thrown on. Steven Craig and Kyle Macaulay were also given a run out. Craig missed a couple of good chances but the changes did work. Ritchie Byrne had only been on the park for 2 minutes when he powerfully met Richard Foster's corner to head home. (82 mins)

6 minutes later the same combination teamed up to make the game safe. Foster's corner came in and Byrne, with a more difficult header this time, scored to make the game safe.

There were a few tied legs on both sides as the players walked off. The Aberdeen players also looked slightly relieved.

Huntly Teamsheet:  Huntly: Bowman, N Reid (Redford 83), Scott (Craib 88), Anderson, Campbell, A Reid (Green 56), Stephen (Stainer 77), Guild (Gairns 51), M Stewart (O'Driscoll 61), Taylor (Fellowes 63), McGowan (De Barros 68) Subs: McGregor, Pennet


Aberdeen Teamsheet:  Langfield, Foster, Muirhead, Winter (Macaulay 68), Considine (Byrne 77), McStay, Smith (McNaughton 73), Dempsey, Stewart, Adams (Craig 56), Clark.

Unused Subs:


Referee: Paul Cheyne

Related Links: