Click here to go back to the AFC Heritage Trust Homepage Aberdeen Football Club Heritage Trust Logo  
AFC - Match Report
match report 2007-08 fixture list
League Cup Semi Final 
Aberdeen 1 - 4 Dundee United
Kick Off:  7:45 PM   Considine 19.       Dods 23, Kalvenes 60, Conway 65, Gomis 77  
Attendance: 12,046
Venue: Tynecastle, Edinburgh
Torrid Tuesday at Tynecastle
Langfield punches clear as United attack.A horror second half denied the Dons a cup final appearance as the Dons cup form deserted them at Tynecastle tonight. It had all started so well when Andrew Considine fired Aberdeen ahead in the 19th minute. Unfortunately the Dons could only hold the lead for four minutes as Dods levelled from a free kick. Aberdeen fell apart in the second half and Langfield, who had been showered with missiles from the United end, had a nervous second period and he sliced a clearance out for a corner that resulted in United's second goal. Five minutes later the Dons were 3-1 behind then Lee Miller collected a second yellow card and headed for an early bath. Another calamity between Severin and Langfield produced a fourth as the Dons went tamely out of the competition.

Dundee United kicked off against an Aberdeen team in their all white kit in front of a healthy crowd who were extremely vocal. United made a positive start and De Vries had a header blocked by McNamara in the 3rd minute. A minute later Langfield spilled the ball but De Vries was penalised for his challenge on the keeper. The Tayside outfit had made the better start as Aberdeen struggled to get a foothold in the game. Aberdeen broke with pace in the 6th minute as Nicholson released Foster but unfortunately the full back ran the ball out of play. Two minutes later Nicholson denied Robertson as he tried to pounce on a De Vries flick.

Miller threatened in the 11th minute but Kerr was able to clear before Foster could pounce on his lay off. Two minutes later De Vries set up Hunt and the diminutive striker fired into the side netting from a tight angle. Walker ventured forward in the 15th minute but he drilled his effort wide. Two minutes later Miller set up Nicholson but his effort was well off target. In the 18th minute Mackie won the first corner of the night with his persistence and the set play produced the opening goal of the match.

Considine puts Aberdeen aheadNicholson swung the ball in and Miller nodded the ball on and Considine was there to bundle the ball into the net. Mackie won a second corner two minutes later and the United defence looked shaky before they finally managed to scramble the ball clear. Aberdeen only held the advantage for four minutes as they conceded a free kick wide on the right. The ball was fired in and Dods rose at the back post and bulleted a header past Langfield. Kalvenes threatened in the 27th minute after being set up by Hunt but his shot was sliced wide.

At the other end Miller won a free kick and Nicholson's delivery was only half cleared but when the ball eventually fell to Walker he also sliced his effort. Another free kick two minutes later was rolled to Severin and his shot was deflected wide but the match officials decided to award a goal kick. Kerr collected the first yellow card of the night on the half hour mark for a clumsy challenge on Miller but the free kick came to nothing. At the other end Langfield comfortably gathered a De Vries header before Diamond had a shot blocked as both sides looked to gain an advantage before the break.

There was an appeal for a spot kick in the 35th minute as Mackie leaned into Kalvenes but the United man stayed on his feet and failed to win a decision. Lee Miller was booked in the 37th minute after arguing his case too forcefully. From the subsequent free kick Dods jumped straight into Langfield and unbelievably the referee failed to spot it and United won their first corner. The damage could have been worse as the subsequent corner was headed inches wide of the Aberdeen post. Diamond was forced into a saving tackle from Hunt in the final minute of the half but neither side could find the net again.

Considine turns away to celebrateThe Aberdeen defence were first in action as they kept United at bay in the opening minute of the half. Aberdeen won a free kick in the 47th minute and Considine failed to steer the ball to a striker after Severin spotted his late run. Young conceded a free kick in a similar position to where they conceded the first half goal but this time Langfield punched clear. The keeper was then pelted with missiles from the United end as the stewards appeared to be posted missing. De Vries fired well over in the 56th minute then a minute later the big striker was booked for deliberate hand ball.

Langfield looked nervous and sliced the ball behind his goal for a corner on the hour mark and his error cost the Dons a second goal as Kalvenes headed the ball into the net. At the other end Nicholson darted into the box but the midfielder stumbled and despite the fact he didn't claim for anything he was surrounded by United players accusing him of diving. United held the upper hand at this stage and they went further ahead in the 65th minute as Conway took advantage of poor defending, rounded the keeper and fired home. Nicholson should have pulled one back a minute later but headed weekly at the keeper.

Aluko replaced Considine seconds later as the Dons looked to turn this game round. The task was made near impossible in the 68th minute when Miller made a late challenge and earned himself a second yellow card and headed for an early bath. A slack pass back by Flood in the 70th minute was pounced on by Mackie but the keeper made a fine block and Aluko didn't fancy the challenge and allowed the keeper to easily collect the loose ball. Nicholson then headed a McNamara cross wide as the Dons desperately tried to get back into the match.

Another howler produced a fourth goal for United as a slack pass back from Severin was not dealt with by Langfield as Gomis closed him down quickly and put the final nail in the Dons coffin. Bus replaced McNamara in the 79th minute then referee Brines went card happy in the 82nd minute when he booked Walker, Mackie and Dods all in the one innocuous incident. Precious little happened in the closing minutes as the Dons looked relieved when the final whistle ended their agony.

Aberdeen Teamsheet:  Langfield, McNamara (Bus 79), Foster, Severin, Diamond, Considine (Aluko 67), Walker, Nicholson, Miller, Mackie, Young.

Unused Subs: Soutar, Maguire, Maybury.

Bookings:  Miller (37),  Walker (82),  Mackie (82),  Miller (68).

Dundee United Teamsheet:  Lukasz Zaluska, Willo Flood (Sean Dillon 79), Darren Dods, Lee Wilkie, Christian Kalvenes, David Robertson, Mark Kerr, Morgaro Gomis (Prince Buaben 79), Craig Conway, Mark De Vries, Noel Hunt.

Unused Subs: Euan McLean, Eric Odhiambo, Garry Kenneth.

Bookings:  Kerr 30,   De Vries 57,   Dods 82.

Referee: Iain Brines, Erskine

Related Links:
Watch Highlights on RedTV (Subscription Required)