Click here to go back to the AFC Heritage Trust Homepage Aberdeen Football Club Heritage Trust Logo  
AFC - Match Report
match report 1938-39 fixture list
Aberdeen 4 - 1 Barnsley
Kick Off:  7:00 PM   Strauss, Strauss 53, Armstrong 55, Strauss.       Lang 28  
Attendance: 6,000
Venue: Pittodrie Stadium, Aberdeen
A MEAGRE crowd of 6000 went away rather disappointed with the standard of play in the friendly match at Pittodrie last night. Barnsley, champions of the Third Division (North) of the English League, did not show the form expected of them.
Aberdeen were not a brilliant combine, but they were a good bit ahead of their opponents, especially in attack. Apart from the first few minutes the Yorkshire forwards were not much in evidence. Barnsley, however, have powerful defence, whose first-time methods did not go down well with the spectators.
Play in the first half was fairly even, but after the interval it was Aberdeen who dictated the run of play. The Barnsley defenders were kept busy, but apart from a slight slackness in the first few minutes of this half they were remarkably steady.


After a few attacks by the visitors. Aberdeen were first to settle, and with Biggs doing grand leading-up work it was no surprise when the inside left worked through the middle to place the ball in the goalmouth. Strauss was off his mark like a flash and a fierce drive tore into the net via the underside of the crossbar.
Barnsley made vigorous efforts to equalise and were rewarded in the twenty-eighth minute when Steele neatly beat an opponent on the bye line and crossed for Lang to head into the net practically out of Kelly's hands.
But for poor marksmanship the Dons would have been ahead by half-time, but they made up for their mistakes in this direction by scoring two goals in the first ten minutes of the second half.
Armstrong, although hampered by Harper, managed to slip the ball to Strauss, and the South African made no mistake as Binns ran out. Two minutes later the Dons consolidated their position. Binns and Harper got mixed up and Armstrong nipped in to loft the ball into the empty net.


Apart from a few brief forays, Barnsley faded out as attacking force and Strauss settled the issue with another snap goal a few minutes from the end. Biggs headed on a cross by Brady, and Strauss's shot found the net off the 'keeper's knees.
Aberdeen's defence was safe. Kelly made no mistakes in goal, and Cooper was the better back. Dunlop and Thomson at wing half were hard workers, while Nicholson spoiled an otherwise good game a faulty pass back which almost led to a second goal for Barnsley.
Forward, Biggs was the star. He plied Strauss steadily, and he got good response. Armstrong had a hard job getting rid of Harper, while Hamilton often spoiled good work by a faulty pass.
Barnsley's defence was the strong department of the team. Everest at left back was a sure kicker, while Brunskill and Harper got through a tremendous amount of work at half-back. The covering-up work was particularly good.


There was a distinct weakness in attack. Although tiring towards the end Steele was the best forward. The former Ayr inside-right got away many good balls, but McGarry wasted most the passes he got. Calder was disappointing at centre forward, while Lang, the former Aberdeen winger, could not be blamed for fading away after a bright start, as Asquith, at inside-left, was seldom in the game.

Source: Press & Journal, 25th April 1939

Aberdeen Teamsheet:  Kelly, Cooper, Adey, Dunlop, Nicholson, Thomson, Brady, Hamilton, Armstrong, Biggs, Strauss.

Unused Subs:


Barnsley Teamsheet:  Cliff Binns, Emlyn Williams, Jack Everest, Norman Brunskill, Bernard Harper, Frank Bokas, Danny McGarry, Johnny Steele, Johnny Calder, Beaumont Asquith, Johnny Lang.


Referee: Peter Craigmyle, Aberdeen

Related Links: