Click here to go back to the AFC Heritage Trust Homepage Aberdeen Football Club Heritage Trust Logo  
AFC - Match Report
match report 1947-48 fixture list
Dewar Shield Semi Final Replay 
Aberdeen 1 - 6 Falkirk
Kick Off:  2:30 PM   Waddell 4.       McKenna (og) 6, Aikman 20, Fiddes 74, Aikman 87, Kenny Dawson 88, Aikman 89.  
Attendance: 0
Venue: Pittodrie Stadium, Aberdeen
Youngsters Should Get Their Chance

THE Aberdeen defence was in a flat spin against Falkirk in the Dewar Shield semi-final replay at Pittodrie yesterday. The Dons crashed 6-1, and they have no excuse.

There was one man I was sorry for - Willie Bruce, the reserve 'keeper. He was called in at the last minute to deputise for George Johnstone.
After yesterday's fiasco I'll be surprised indeed if there aren't changes in the Dons' team for the League Cup quarter-final on Saturday.
The Aberdeen team has been under suspicion for most of the season. Conclusive evidence that the present eleven is not capable of retaining a prominent place in Scottish football was forthcoming yesterday.
The Pittodrie club have been searching vainly for experienced players. They haven't yet found them. Until such time as they do the only course open to Mr Halliday and his officials is to experiment.
Admittedly, the results obtained by the reserve team have been none too encouraging. There are, however, one or two promising youngsters. Why not give them a chance? The club have nothing to lose.
Against Falkirk the defence collapsed, and it's rather an indictment against the Pittodrie forwards that their solitary goal was scored bv a half-back.
Every time the Bairns' front line swung into the attack in the closing stages it was a goal. The Aberdeen defenders lost their heads and four goals in the last sixteen minutes. They never got a grip of the Falkirk forwards.

Dunlop at Sea

Seldom has Dunlop been more at sea than against the nippy Aikman.
The Falkirk centre had a hat-trick. McKenna also had a poor game. Whether or not the fact that he put through his own goal in the first half affected him he certainly lacked confidence.
As a matter of fact it's a difficult matter to pick out any of the Dons who played really well. The most consistent were Cowie, Waddell and Baird and they were by no means brilliant.
Falkirk were far more solid and reliable in defence and their forwards were quick, keen and entsrprising.
Outstanding in the rear was lanky centre-half Henderson. With the ball in the air he was unbeatable and Williams found it almost equally difficult to elude him on the ground.
McPhee was a sound left back and Whitelaw a strong, forcing half. His three goals revealed Aikman to have good ball control and to be a good opportunist.
Waddell opened the scoring after four minutes' play. When Baird sent Millar away the winger beat Whyte and crossed. McCall ran clear of the ball and Waddell came up to crack it home from twenty yards.

McKenna's Mistake
Two minutes later a try by Aikman was going wide when McKenna, in attempting to pass back, beat his own 'keeper. The marking by the Aberdeen defenders was shown in a bad light after twenty minutes' play when Aikman raced through in pursuit of an upfield pass from Bolt and scored.
The Aberdeen collapse started sixteen minutes before the final whistle. It began with Fiddes netting when Aikman made an opening.
The centre himself carried on the good work by repeating his first-half move by racing through the Dons' defence to net from Bolt's pass.
Ken Dawson got the next and Aikman beat Dunlop for a high ball to make the total six.

Source: Press & Journal, 23rd September 1947

Aberdeen Teamsheet:  Bruce, Cowie, McKenna, Waddell, Dunlop, Taylor, McCall, Hamilton, Williams, Baird, Millar.

Unused Subs:


Falkirk Teamsheet:  Jerry Dawson, Jock Whyte, Jimmy McPhie, Bobby Bolt, Bob Henderson, John Whitelaw, Jimmy Fiddes, Neil Fleck, Archie Aikman, John Henderson, Kenny Dawson.


Referee: J. Calder, Edinburgh

Related Links: